Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I have a side question. I have been using my home raised chickens to create chicken broth and for some reason my broth seems to lack a certain amount of depth to the flavor. If I leave the fat, it tastes greasy and kind of waxy flavored. When I skim the fat (like refridgerate it overnight, then skim the fat), it doesn't taste waxy/ greasy but it doesn't have any depth to the flavor. What am I doing wrong? I would like to can/ freeze the broth but want it to have great flavor. I am using Dorking, Rocks, or similar dual purpose and the flavor of the meat is excellent. Just don't know what I am doing wrong. I can't seem to make decent broth of any kind. Ideas? suggestions? (PS. I do cook it down with the bones, but I haven't tried using the feet)

Are you comparing your stock to canned stock?

The stock that I make from home raised birds is very tasty!

I use a pressure cooker to make the stock--one hour under pressure. If using a regular pot, you need to boil the bones for at leas an hour--up to 2.5 hours. Adding the neck really helps and I toss in chunks of extra veggies, like carrots, onion, celery and broccoli stocks. I also add salt and bay leaf to the boil.

Good, I'm glad you like it. For me it's the most practical way of preserving and using our meats and makes it go further. I still have 12 qts from last year's canning as well. Very easy to get into a dish when the meat is already cooked to tenderness and the jar seals in all the moisture and flavor.

All great ideas. As I have a full time job teaching, during the week I typically use a crock pot to cook my chicken. Add chicken, water, herbs, garlic, onion, basil, oregano, etc. Maybe I need to add more veggies. Typically we pull out the chicken and have it as chicken which I will sometimes add a sauce such as teriyaki sauce, bbq, etc. Then I debone it, cool it overnight and then the next night, I will make chicken and dumplings, or chicken soup, or something like that. I might try roasting one in my dutch one weekend and adding some vegetables to see if mine improves. I know I had the same problem with my beef (we raise our own beef too) until my mother explained about searing it after dipping it in flour. Now my beef has depth. Maybe I need to sear my chickens as well.

I would love to get brave enough to can chicken but oh with chicken I am still overcoming the microbiology class I took way long ago.
hmm.png

All great ideas. As I have a full time job teaching, during the week I typically use a crock pot to cook my chicken. Add chicken, water, herbs, garlic, onion, basil, oregano, etc. Maybe I need to add more veggies. Typically we pull out the chicken and have it as chicken which I will sometimes add a sauce such as teriyaki sauce, bbq, etc. Then I debone it, cool it overnight and then the next night, I will make chicken and dumplings, or chicken soup, or something like that. I might try roasting one in my dutch one weekend and adding some vegetables to see if mine improves. I know I had the same problem with my beef (we raise our own beef too) until my mother explained about searing it after dipping it in flour. Now my beef has depth. Maybe I need to sear my chickens as well.

I would love to get brave enough to can chicken but oh with chicken I am still overcoming the microbiology class I took way long ago.
hmm.png
What you are missing is something called the maillard reaction--It is like browning. You cannot get that in a crock pot unless you brown the chicken in hot oil first. For the chicken in the crock pot, brown the chicken in hot oil in a skillet, a little bit at a time. Then make your crock pot dish like normal.

Pressure cookers will get hot enough to cause the maillard reaction without browning first.
Quote:

Last edited:
What you are missing is something called the maillard reaction--It is like browning. You cannot get that in a crock pot unless you brown the chicken in hot oil first. For the chicken in the crock pot, brown the chicken in hot oil in a skillet, a little bit at a time. Then make your crock pot dish like normal.

Pressure cookers will get hot enough to cause the maillard reaction without browning first.
EUREKA! I didn't realize it worked with chicken too.... Now that article was right up my science brain's alley. I will try it next time and see if there my broth finally ranks up there.

Thanks a million.

Good, I'm glad you like it. For me it's the most practical way of preserving and using our meats and makes it go further. I still have 12 qts from last year's canning as well. Very easy to get into a dish when the meat is already cooked to tenderness and the jar seals in all the moisture and flavor.

It will be especially useful to me if I get into bantams, which I am considering. I am looking to the future.

Back
Top Bottom