Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
So now my honey knows what to build me when we're rich and have property
big_smile.png

Set ups like that, or that serve that purpose, might be far less expensive than one would think. Growing pens can be three-season outfits, which do not cost all that much in the long run.

From what I saw, there were three runs of pullets and three runs of cockerels. I would imagine that they're divided either by week(s) of hatch or by breeding. I always love the visual of a pen full of uniformity. Did you notice how typey the birds were? They have great shoulders. I could definitely envision the traditional French La Fleche capon coming out of that flock.

Last edited:
Those are nice runs and since they seem to close the coop every night they don't have to be that expensive to build. A perimeter fence on the outside and flight pen netting for the tops and partitions wouldn't be that expensive.

I have found this thread very interesting and enriching in information. The terms heritage and homesteading are freely used lately. What is the definition for homesteading these days? Is it just a popular term, a label, a fad. Are people just saying we are homesteaders for the heck of it because more and more people are raising chickens or are collecting tree sap like in my area..so does this make someone a homesteader? I would define homesteading as being self sufficient in rural settings, activities and practices. But we are far from solely living off the land anymore. Can someone explain this to me? Just being rather inquizitive and not attacking anyone here.

Quote:
IMO, it has become a marketing term for so many. Originally it was a label given to those who were subsisting off of the land, almost soley, because they had to, now anyone and everyone who has a decent size garden and a couple of chickens is considering themselves a "homesteader". To each his own, I suppose. Personally I base my "homesteading" efforts on the percentage of sustainability from my land and my hand... right now we are at about 60% producing food from out own land, the problem is grains, sugar (this year we are going to be making our own sugar from beets, and we trade other produce/eggs for maple sugar), juices, etc. However for us, it is as much of a game as anything.... we don't "have" to "homestead" to survive, but the food quality is better and the satisfaction you get from producing your own food is priceless. My 2 cents

Quote:
IMO, it has become a marketing term for so many. Originally it was a label given to those who were subsisting off of the land, almost soley, because they had to, now anyone and everyone who has a decent size garden and a couple of chickens is considering themselves a "homesteader". To each his own, I suppose. Personally I base my "homesteading" efforts on the percentage of sustainability from my land and my hand... right now we are at about 60% producing food from out own land, the problem is grains, sugar (this year we are going to be making our own sugar from beets, and we trade other produce/eggs for maple sugar), juices, etc. However for us, it is as much of a game as anything.... we don't "have" to "homestead" to survive, but the food quality is better and the satisfaction you get from producing your own food is priceless. My 2 cents

This is a great conversation and a great question. I say this because it asks me to think out what is assumed and try to give it words. The truth is I think the homsteading is today a journey. Whatever it may have been, the circumstances of modern life have changed it. I think the journey begins when you look at your current condition and decide to start doing for yourself to the extent that you can.

A mind blowing percentage of folk nowadays do not know how to plant beans and squash or even that cocks and hens can both be chickens. I think the moment one realizes that one's home is meant for more than a lawn and some flowering shrubs, one has begun. I wouldn't want to say that homesteading can only be complete independence, for that statement refuses to acknowledge the validity of these people's journey. We all know that time flies faster than we'd like to admit, but if one person awakens to the sacred call of nature and begins to plough up the lawn and, in ten years, has figured out how to tend garden and fruit trees; process and can enough food to seriously impact the amount one needs to purchase at the store; and learns how to manage a small, closed breeding program in chicken, rabbit and maybe some duck and/or goose. Wow! Then there's learning to manage compost and soil health as well as how to raise feed stuffs to reduce one's dependence on grain import. There's learning how to forage and, of course, relearning how to cook all of this stuff; how to mend things without having to buy new things; and, ultimately, there is the need to learn to say "no" to things and learn to do without.

There is also the reality of location and the world in which we live. We live in southern NH and will not be inheriting a family farm. Ergo, we bought our land and it was not inexpensive. Now, I guess we could have moved somewhere where land is less expensive, but then we'd be beyond the reach of everyone we love and our place of origin, which we were not willing to do. As long as the world economy is what it is, we will be bound to live with a foot in both worlds. My dear friend and mentor Sylvia, a woman in her mid-80's whom I've known since I was a boy and who is old NH farming stock, loves to reminisce and quote her husband as saying, "The job pays for the farm, and the farm makes life worth living."

I think that, where we live, homesteading is really a wish, or a prayer, for the lived stillness of the simplicity of here.

Quote:
So, I haven't been able to let this fascination with Old English Games drop. They have the richest history of any single breed of fowl I can find. They are literally drenched in lore and myth. They are outstandingly beautiful, exceedingly self-sufficient, and, via experience, rather tasty. So, I did two things. First, I had a very long conversation with an oldtime cocker, and secondly, I have read The Cocker By William Sketchley, written in 1814.

Here's the link to it on google books (I hope), where you can read it in toto: http://books.google.com/books?id=Gl...&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book is wonderful, quite brief, and chock full of outstanding tid-bits. Moreover, it is full of so much knowledge still used today that I can't help but feel that it is a, if not the, seminal work in these matters. Give it a read. I think you'll really appreciate it. His comments on breeding and husbandry apply to any breed of fowl.

I think that I shall be unable to resist the idea of adding some Spangled Old English Game LF to our operation. Indeed, it fills me with excitement. The sheer historicity of the Game is inebriating.

Here' are two clips of some that I found on youtube. The first is, I think, an example of what would be referred to as "Carlisle" Old English Games, which I believe is due to the shortness of their backs, which gives them the impression of being wider becaus their shoulders seem wider than their body seems long. I believe that second is an example of "Oxford" Old English Game, which I believe is more prevalent in the US. They are longer in the back which reduces the immediate impression of muscling because it is drawn out over the length of the breast-bone. I believe, though, the the proportion of meat is the same. When you see these birds, notice the tightness and condition of feather, the profusion of breast meat, and the sheer vivacity of the specimens. (I am very much guessing here, I'll try to find Saladin to have more expert commentary.)

Here's the first clip:

Here's another clip of the same birds:

Here's a clip of the birds I think might be more of an "oxford type":

Last edited:
Quote:
I also have noticed those terms being very widely used, often it appears as a marketing ploy which is disappointing but not surprising.

I think it's mostly a mindset thing. I admire the urban homesteader ideas. Sure they can't grow as much as someone with acreage but many of them grow a lot more for their own needs than many of the hobby farmers and farmers do out here in the country. I know farmers locally who don't have a veggie patch or keep chickens because "that's what supermarkets are for."
hmm.png

At the same time, while I rent a few acres I doubt we will be totally self sufficient here. I concentrate on quality and things that grow well and survive our climate. I also try to grow things that are expensive to buy and make great bartering items. Regarding poultry, here free range chicken is upwards of $5 a pound for a whole bird, breasts around $10. That's for the Cornish X commercial birds too, can't get heritage chicken and I'm certain I couldn't afford it if I could get it. Intensively raised whole duck is $15 a pound. I'd like to raise them too when I'm set up for them as I can't afford to pay that and don't agree with way they are raised.

I like the look and taste of heritage poultry and they provide excellent benefits of eggs, meat, pest control, fertilizer and entertainment among other things. I enjoy watching them roam the grounds, even raiding the veggie patch. I grow heirloom veggies so I can save seed and preserve the genetics for future generations. It makes sense to me to raise heritage poultry that can reproduce themselves and I can preserve their genetics too. I want to grow as much food as I can for them here too so as to reduce my reliance on bought in feed.

I guess I am aiming for nearly self sufficiency. Would I like to be 100% self sufficient? Sure. Do I think it's realistically possible? Maybe not. I think being 100% self sufficient involves much more compromise, doing without and hard work than most people are willing to do. I'm lucky I don't have to rely on my place 100% as I do have a very low income. As long as I can grow most of what we eat, barter / trade and sell excess to keep things ticking over I'm pretty happy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom