Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Quote:
Sounds like you're keeping the same breeds that I am! Delaware and Speckled Sussex are my main two breeds. I also have some partridge rock (from Paul Harter in Missouri), new hampshire and one barnevelder.

Yes, mine are from Paul Harter (I wasn't trying to insult his line, actually, just not the one I'd been hoping to get) and I'm super happy with them. They were already diggin through the shavings the day they arrived, curious as to what all that stuff was about
lol.png

It's nice to hear everyone's adventures. These are all great breeds--interestingly--they're all breeds that I've dreamt of, some of which I've raised--I'm trying to figure out if it's that people into heritage are all into the same breeds or whether it's just that more or less every bird in the Standard peaks curiosity at one point or the other.

S Sussex are so lovely, and wonderful dual-purpose birds. If we were open to single combed fowl, they'd be the first on the list.

The dominiques are another temptation. I've raised them once and appreciated them. If we ever were to head in that direction, I'd want to start with really good stock. After the last several years of breeding up White Dorkings and RC Anconas from the depths of depair, I'm pooped.

Sumatras have always been of interest, especially because of their reputation as the best flying chickens. There's something in the flight of fowl that delights my heart. I once watch a Cubalaya cock fly across my yard in an extraordinary display of flight capacity; it was breath-taking.

I'm sorry to hear of frustrations, too. It's always so annoying when things do not go according to plan....even sort of...

Quote:
They are amazing flyers...for chickens. My 2.5 week old Sumatra chicks were out with mama the other day, when my cat got too close. Mama ran off the babies 1st, and they ended up 7 feet up in a tree. Took them 2 trys. 3.5 feet, then the 2nd 3.5 feet. At 2.5 weeks old. Watching the flock fly towards me as I carry food out for them is always entertaining. Or the controlled, helicopter like flight, down from a tree, then steering themselves down to my feet. Sumatra's are great birds.

I think the Dominiques are just wonderful! They are the perfect mix of sweet pet bird and viscious mouse-eating raptor. They are easy to handle but not so dead calm as to lay down and die at the first predator they find.

Great layers, our hens that we've kept for breeding have been excellent and consistent layers. I do admit we've done some culling to get to this point, but it wasn't too bad really. And we were not able to start with outstanding stock. There are a few breeders that ship eggs or chicks that I've been told have nice birds.

I guess what I like most about my Doms is they don't need a lot of pampering. The chicks bust out of their shell with both feet on the ground and just keep going from there on out. They don't seem bothered by our subzero winters or blazing hot summers, and I think they would be perfectly happy if I sat in the coop and pet them all day, or if I just let them go be wild chickens living off the range. I never realized exactly how special they are until I started handling other birds by getting into the partnership with Rhonda. I love the Orps and Americaunas and the Aussies too in their own way (not so much the Marans... darn things won't hatch!), but if I had to choose one breed for life, it would be the Dominique.

Quote:
Wow, I'd describe the Buckeye in a very similar way. I have seen a Dominique at a show last year, it was a pretty bird.
Dominiques are a too small for me though, I need a big bird, lol. Maybe one day I could try them, who knows.

Last edited:
I think everyone should have at least one breeding flock of Dominiques
smile.png
What's another 2 roosters and 6 hens? Huh? I never think they're too small, I actually enjoy that I can walk around with a rooster and not feel like I'm carrying a sack of potatoes in my arm. The Orps are gentle giants, but they are GIANTS.

The scrappiest, scrawniest and otherwise most cull worthy of my game chickens is about due for an invite to dinner. At eight weeks old I figure I have a little more time but past experience has proven that leaving them too long will result in dead and/or battered chickens.

Makes me wonder though, does pugnacity at eight weeks equal deep gameness as a two year old cock?

Starting to think (read hope) that a couple of my Dominiques might be hens.

There was discussion in this thread about the table qualities of game chickens and raising a smaller bird for the smaller family.
I killed the first of my excess game stags this weekend at 10 weeks of age.
The dressed carcass weighed 2 pounds 1 ounce which is a little more than I was expecting.
We had a lot of vegetables to go with it so my wife and I ended up only eating the breast quarters last night. Will have the rest for my lunch today.
Also made a good cup and a half of broth out of the backbone and neck that went into the freezer.

I was very well pleased, it was delicious!

77751_raw_chicken.jpg

77751_chicken.jpg

A very proper spatchcock, that is. I'm doing exactly the same thing tonight with a duckling that exited three weeks early, thanks to a Saturday night breakout attempt through the electric fence that went sadly wrong. Except for, you know, tonight's supper.

Back
Top Bottom