Farmsitting and need help diagnosing a hen

I am staying in contact with the owner and advising her every step of the way. She is appreciative and apologetic that I must "deal" with this. No worries on my end though, just worried about the hen and her well-being. I will discuss with the owner tomorrow to determine if she wants to go the route of antibiotics and report back here once I have an answer. To prepare though, what antibiotic do you suggest and at what dosage, if the owner agrees?

Anywho, I will stick with just the pill that you @Wyorp Rock suggested since that is the only way I can ensure she is getting a full dose. I'm not there during the day to witness if the hen is eating or not, plus when I got there tonight for feeding up, she had rolled/fell into the feed dish I left her and it dumped most of it. Same with water intake, since I'm not there, I don't know if she is drinking, that's why I syringe fed her water with the B complex & calcium mix.

Tomorrow morning I will soak her again, make a new mixture of water/b complex/poultry cell and syringe feed her that.

Regarding how the hen looked/acted, today was no worse than the day before. Actually, I was surprised that she had enough energy to try to avoid me and attempt to perch on the roosting bar.

I have also brought her oldest hen to my house (I did this on the day the owner left) for it to have its own vacation because she is the favorite of all the roosters (x5), and her back is tore up pretty good/bald.

Looking at your stash, you have Amoxicillin and Baytril.

Baytril is the stronger of the two and one that you can still probably order/replenish.
Amoxicillin is VERY hard to find right now, there's a shortage and you may have a hard time getting more of that unless you have a local supply to purchase from.

Either antibiotic can be used, so that's up to you.

Baytril 10% dose can be found here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baytril-dose.119540/post-17794673

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom