Fart egg mystery

Tamara119

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Bariloche, Patagonia
So this morning I have a blue fart egg on the ground. Here's why it's a mystery:

I have 2 araucana hens laying normal sized blue/green eggs,
1 barnyard mix hen laying normal sized brown eggs
1 hen who has never laid anything and who is a barnyard mix (thread about her here)
8 araucana chicks (not US standards, I'm in Patagonia and our Araucanas are like the UK/NZ ones)

7 of the araucana chicks are 12 weeks minus 2 days, and one of them is 12 weeks plus two days. This one I hatched myself and so I know her exact age. I've even been thinking that she could be a rooster because she has a big comb that is so so red. Could she be mature and laying her first egg at 12 weeks + 2 days? She hatched on October 21. The others are visibly less mature than she is, so I doubt it's any of them.

Here is a picture of her:

So what is the most likely?
That one of my regular-like-clockwork araucana hens laid a fart egg, or
The orange/red barnyard mix finally laid her first egg, and she must have the dominant blue egg trait, or
My 12 week chick laid her first egg?

Thanks for your input! When I confirm this in the next few days we'll find out what's right!

Its also possible that your blue/green egg laying hens laid their normal egg AND the fart egg at the same time. Pics? Hope you get your mystery solved!
Nikki

Well, I didn't manage to get more pictures today. Today's eggs from that coop were 1 brown, 1 blue and 1 blue fart egg. Normally there's 2 blue eggs (regular size). So I still don't know if it was one of the araucana hens, the red one that never lays, or the chick!

Does any one know if it's likely that a normal egg layer suddenly gives a fart egg? I thought they only happen on a pullet's first egg or two.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've gotten fart eggs from my regular layers (and soft shelled eggs, wrinkly eggs and all kinds of other weird stuff). I figure its just a glitch in the egg laying machine. I'm betting one the Araucana hens is the culprit. Again, good luck!
Nikki

I've gotten fart eggs from my regular layers (and soft shelled eggs, wrinkly eggs and all kinds of other weird stuff). I figure its just a glitch in the egg laying machine. I'm betting one the Araucana hens is the culprit. Again, good luck!
Nikki
Just got my first fart egg after 6 months of regular laying. Is it anything to worry about? Does it indicate illness?

Yep, in the end I found out it was one of the Araucanas. She continued to lay smallish eggs for about a week, then they were normal size for a while, then back to small. Only the one real fart egg though, and now she's laying normal size again. I guess it's just their systems. I've only had one other fart egg, it was the first egg of one girl then everything since was normal. I've also had a fear egg, an egg laid too early because she was attacked by the nasty hen. It was soft and split on the ground. I haven't had the other strange eggs yet but I know they can happen!

Back
Top Bottom