FAST HELP PLEASE: Pre-K chicks are hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Momagain1, May 9, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    So far they have 8 out of one batch of 16 hatch in one room ..all but one has cracks in it...

and 2, almost 3 out of the second batch...in the other room; several have cracks in it..

Now, anythingi super important I should tell them when I go up? I'll get pics..of course they are all (the kids)
    wanting to know if they are girls/boys..lol and what kinds they are (teachers) I have NO clue lol..

but since the teachers go home at afternoon..I know one teacher will go back up to ck on them later this eve..but
    if any hatch late tonight are they ok to stay in the incubator overnight til the morning again? Or does she really need to come up every
    few hrs?

I'm leaving in 1/2 hr..so I hope I get answers before then..sorry for the late posting!!

TIA!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    and they need to remove said chick/s from incubator riht? if so, doesnt that make the temps go wonky??

3. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    it's best to not open the incubator while the chicks are hatching. They can stay in the incubator for a couple of days.

4. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    The chicks can stay in the incubator for 24 hours (or even a little longer) as they don't need to eat or drink for 3 days after hatching. Only concern might be it could get crowded with live chicks impeding the hatching babies and not having enough room. I removed mine from the incubator to a brooder under a heat lamp once they were dry and standing. They dried really fluffy when put under the lamp - less humidity and it gave more room for those yet unhatched. Hope this helps.

5. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Thanks! I seen them while I was up there; opening the incubator several times and I thought they werent supposed to; I'll let them know when I go up in about 20 min!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by