fast maturing breed

roocrazy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
minnesota!!!!
that i can show at the fair. i want silkies but because of the time period pickle im in i cant show them tell next year
i'd like it...
docile
an ok layer(but it really dosnt matter)
not HUGE
minnesota winter hardy
good feed conservation if possible
not from a hatchery
not 100000 dollors for a single bird
lol.png

easy to care for

thank you so much for you help!!!
wee.gif

~RoO~

French Marans are a fast maturing breed. ( At least, most Black Coppers are) They are pretty big, but not huge, and eat the same amount as others. They're very docile, cold hardy, lay GORGEOUS eggs (and vary from a moderate layer to a good layer) and don't cost a whole lot. I mean, hatching eggs are average $60 per dozen, and chicks go for $6-10 each, but it is SO worth it.
smile.png

Also, they have yet to be taken over by hatchery stock. (although of course there are the cuckoos, but those aren't french type, and there's a hatchery already offering BC's
roll.png
)

Also, Marans are not APA accepted, however you can still show them. Especially at small shows like fairs. . . After all, people can show Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas and get away with it.
wink.png

Last edited:
i thought those too but they are not yet on the apa standard list and my county fair is pretty strict when it comes to that

thank you illia very much for the quick responce

~RoO~

That's actually really good to hear.

As for other breeds, if you do want a fast grower, I'm not sure what to say. Ameraucanas are also a docile, cold hardy, medium sized breed that doesn't eat too much, and lay beautiful blue eggs. They're not slow growers, I guess I'd call them average. At 7 months a cockerel will look almost exactly as he may a year later. At 6 months a pullet will do the same.

Course, I LOVE Ameraucanas (already collecting up 5 colors) and would recommend them anyday.

Well knowing your situation.... our fairs up here are July or early August. You don't want to raise chicks in the house, so will first be looking at getting birds probably around the end of March. So ideally you are looking for something mature enough to show at about 3-4 months of age. This will eliminate alot of breeds... Most breeds of ducks will be ready in time. Stick to your solid colored breeds like pekins or cayugas. If you go to something pattered like an appleyard, it takes a while to get that adult plumage and get into full coloration. Stay away from the deep keeled breeds like exhibition rouens and ayelsbury. As for geese, we have alot of experience. They simply aren't ready in time for fair if you have any exhibition quality bird. On the chickens, light brown leghorns in either bantam or standard would be a good choice. Bantam buckeyes, old english, hamburgs, etc. Most of your feather footed breeds take a long time to finish out (~10 months at least usually).... silkies, cochins, brahmas. If you don't want to spend alot of money on started birds, put forth the extra effort to keep young chicks warm in the house somehow.
Amy

Back
Top Bottom