Fat Hen

Here is the info from the expert, that I promised, regarding the egg that got stuck in my chicken:

"These pictures are of an egg that has abnormally passed through the shell gland where the eggshell is deposited. Ocassionally eggs will remain too long or not long enough and get an abnormally pigmented or chalky shell, such as these pictures show. Hens either coming into production or going out of production are more prone to this, but it can occur any time -- one of those quirks of Mother Nature. . . .

Usually the egg is still good to eat unless the yolk appears discolored or "boiled-like," or the albumen is not normal.
If you continue to get this type of eggshell from the same hen, it is an indication that the oviduct (part of the composite reproductive sytem where eggs are formed) has been damaged by disease or trauma."

45455_imag0015.jpg

The above picture is Florida. She finally passed her egg yesterday afternoon but she's either has another one stuck or is just a little weak from all the straining. Either way she is not walking. Still eating and drinking and you can see from the picture she looks healthy enough. I still have her isolated but I let her out in the yard for a little shile and even let one of the other BR's out with her - still no walking although she did enjoy eating some grass.

Thank you again for the advice and the links. All of the info was quite helpful. I guess we are back to taking another soak today.

Sorry that I'm just now seeing this thread. It can help to keep them in darkness many hours a day at times like these because their bodies will slow down on the egg making so they don't get backed up - this will take some stress off their tormented systems. Also, long recommended on this site (though I don't have a reference to proof that it's effective) is to give an eggbound hen a crushed Tums (crush a Tums and mix witha bit of water so it flows nicely out of a dropper which can be dribbled gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke).

JJ

Florida is sure a pretty girl. Her legs look awfully orange to me. Is she recently coming out of being broody?

Back
Top Bottom