%Fat in layer feed?

RockyTM84

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2023
Western OH
Hi all,

First time chicken owner here. My gals are 22 wks old and starting to lay. I have been feeding them the Henhouse Reserve from Kalmbach. I found a local feed mill that has way better prices on similar layer feed, but when I looked at the nutrient breakdown their %fat is at 8%! That seems crazy high to me. The most I’ve seen is 4-5% fat. Should I avoid feeds that have a %fat above this range?

I **really** really don't like high fat feeds, particularly long term. Fatty Liver Hemmhoragic is a terrible way to lose a bird. That said, high fat **IS** better than high carb, **IF** the feed is built for it - w/o knowing the mKe target for the feed, there's no way to know. High fat base feed makes it harder to "treat" your birds as well.

Is it to high?? I can't be certain. But I would try and avoid.

Hi all,

First time chicken owner here. My gals are 22 wks old and starting to lay. I have been feeding them the Henhouse Reserve from Kalmbach. I found a local feed mill that has way better prices on similar layer feed, but when I looked at the nutrient breakdown their %fat is at 8%! That seems crazy high to me. The most I’ve seen is 4-5% fat. Should I avoid feeds that have a %fat above this range?

Send a photo of the guaranteed nutrition tag and ingredients - we'll try and guess if they actually know what they are doing and care about long term health, or are deliberately turning out a low price commodity. Neither is "bad" per se, they are just intendfed for differing uses.

I won't assume complete ignorance until I see the ingredients. Most mills know what they are doing, even if they don't produce to that optimum, and instead choose to produce to particular market segments.

Send a photo of the guaranteed nutrition tag and ingredients - we'll try and guess if they actually know what they are doing and care about long term health, or are deliberately turning out a low price commodity. Neither is "bad" per se, they are just intendfed for differing uses.

I won't assume complete ignorance until I see the ingredients. Most mills know what they are doing, even if they don't produce to that optimum, and instead choose to produce to particular market segments.
Here are the two I was looking at, particularly the whole grain option. They also make a corn/soy free option at 4.5% fat that I can post if you want.

Attachments

• 21A6A0B6-407D-43E5-B56A-5589F2EB2BE7.png
    21A6A0B6-407D-43E5-B56A-5589F2EB2BE7.png
    906.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1AEEE48D-D410-490B-A9E4-825455CA4198.png
    1AEEE48D-D410-490B-A9E4-825455CA4198.png
    975.2 KB · Views: 7
Thank you all for confirming this for me. I really appreciate it!
We WOULD appreciate a pic of the local mill tag - is part of how the BYC community grows its knowledge.

I am (for inexplicable reasons) something of a resource on BYC for feeding chickens, even though I don't feed my own chickens the way I recommend.

That said, for reasons unrelated to chickens, this isnt a great day for me. I may wait till tommorow to respond intelligibly.

Back
Top Bottom