Fatty ovary? *pic*

hamachi

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013

Yesterday I noticed that one of my barred rocks was limping and seemed quite uncomfortable, as I am raising them for food and was thinking about trying the first one soon I decided that I should try her and stop any pain that she might be in.
While I was plucking her I noticed a small lump next to her lower spine. When I gutted her I noticed a fairly large firm fatty area in the area where the ovaries would be, she is just over 4 months and not laying yet.
I am curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this before and if she is still safe to eat.
I am new to this site and I think I have attached a photo, this is the lump cut in half, it was quite large for her size.

Sorry not much help here but found your situation interesting as I have a barred rock that is about 6 1/2 mo. old and has been limping for a couple of weeks. Although she had seemed to improved but we have our chicks for eggs so I wouldn't know much about the fatty thing but interesting none the less
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
that's really icky
sickbyc.gif
I wonder if someone could explain what that is if you post the photo on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

Looks like maybe her reproductive "bits" got an infection, but that's just a guess. Send the picture to an avian pathologist, they love that sort of stuff.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom