Faverolle vs Orpington Roo for small flock

As in sound? The hens are very vocal and chat quite a bit, they don't sound quite normal not bad just different .The roo crows alot but he isn't loud other than that it's just low clucks out of him. If you meant some other type of volume like eggs or how much you'd get if you ate one let me know. :)

Yeah, sound. Don't want one crowing too often or loud

Ok crowing is obviously more in the morning, but its not a really loud obnoxious crow. During the day not much crowing maybe one or two,and a couple before roost time. He is the least crowy rooster I've had. He does like to chatter and low cluck. He didn't make a sound until nearly five months. :)

Ok crowing is obviously more in the morning, but its not a really loud obnoxious crow. During the day not much crowing maybe one or two,and a couple before roost time. He is the least crowy rooster I've had. He does like to chatter and low cluck. He didn't make a sound until nearly five months. :)

Wow sounds like a good rooster!

Thanks for the info, that's helpful.

I don't so much mind the clucks and stuff, my hens talk all the time too and can get pretty obnoxious lol especially the egg song.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees in the loudness department. I've had relatively quiet ones, very vocal ones and everything in between. Having more than one does mean that more than likely they will have crowing competitions.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees in the loudness department. I've had relatively quiet ones, very vocal ones and everything in between. Having more than one does mean that more than likely they will have crowing competitions.

Hmm so I guess it's more the individual rooster than the breed then?

Wonder if getting an older rooster would help? Since I could tell if they were quiet or not? But then I'd have to integrate

Noise hadn't even occurred to me at all (I live in the country, and roosters were the first noise we heard out here.) *blush*

Yeah, if your neighbors don't mind or you don't have them then noise isn't a concern :)

We have almost 3 acres but we're in town with a condo/townhome development in front and a street with houses right behind us. We can see the houses in back and hear neighbors sometimes and could probably toss a rock at their window. Most of the acreage is wooded, the yard itself isn't that big and we don't own that much property in the back which is why they're closer

There's a no-crow collar. It isn't REALLY no-crow, just quieter crows, but it could help in your situation where roosters are legal-but-potentially-irritating.

Okay well I personally prefer my orps. While I like my Favorelles hen she doesn't lay nearly as well as my orps. She's also a bit skittish and not the best forager.

She did lose a sister and mate in her first year to fox but it didn't make any of my orps flighty. SF are beautiful and definitely docile. My girl is hatchery stock.

No my orps we have mostly English orps and only English roos. They've really surprised me with how well the hens and pullets lay. Very few of my orps have had bad attitudes or tested me. We do keep multiple roosters. We were planning to keep the trio of SF before the fox happened. I caught it red handed with the cockeral in broad daylight as we free range. I tried but it snapped his neck before I could get to him. He was very docile and handsome. I think I would go with English orps but it's all about the stock you get them from.

Did I miss you saying what you plan to do with any cockerals you hatch?

A few of my English hens are terrible foragers but most are great. They're wonderful pets also very personable. Lol we do have other breeds with them and they do wonderful together we even have silkies and oegb. When not collecting hatching eggs they all run together.

We didn't have any trouble with hens that were naked until this year. Especially if you have some older pullets or hens they would probably do pretty well keeping him in line as he matures or separate him to a bachelor pad withing sight while he gets his boxers out of a wad. Lol

So my thoughts are I love both breeds and do want to add more SF at some point again. That being said hatchery stock isn't always what you expect. Orps are great dp breeds great layers great for meat, if slow growers. SF are also cute and fun birds and I think underrated nowadays but I wouldn't replace our entire flock with them. I wouldn't replace them all with orpingtons either mind you. Although most of our birds are orps. We have black lavender chocolate chocolate cuckoo mauve and white(sport) Orpingtons we also have American buffs. Which by the way we had a three year old visitor last year walk up and pick up a hen like it was nothing. (She could almost touch the ground. Lol) she was completely at ease. And after making sure the child was holding her correctly, albeit with some difficulty, off he went with his new friend. Lol

Hatches would be sold or processed, thus my concern with finding a great laying dual purpose breed - if chicks don't sell, started pullets should, and cockerels can be eaten (so long as I don't tell my son where they went.)

My 4 year old can pick up my orpingtons. My favorite likes to sit on my head. If I go the SF route, I WANT to do a lavender orpington, a blue orpington, and an SF female if I do that (more likely add in red sex links instead of two pricey orpingtons). If not, I'll see if the local lavender breeder has better birds (her lavenders, and the ones she sold, were dying shortly after point of lay), and get lavender, chocolate, and buff (at $3-4 a head vs $21 via MPC, I'd be less nervous about losses.)

Back
Top Bottom