Faverolles as meat birds

Working Dog Doc

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Missouri
I lost all 5 of my outdoor young Cornish crosses and 2 Ameraucana/Easter egger pullets, likely to a raccoon, 5 days ago. After I go get some hotwire, I want some replacement meat birds. I have searched and searched and only heard some vague language about the Faverolles's ability to mature quickly as a meat bird. I have two 3.5 week old Faverolles pullets as layers and am considering adding some cockerels. How quickly do these guys really mature on ad lib grass and once a day grain feeding? I do organic or non-medicated starter/grower feed. I want a fairly large 5-6 pound dressed weight. I'm a vet and am also considering learning how to caponize these guys as well (can't have roosters).

I've got a buddy in the KC area who is playing with Faverolles as meat birds. I don't have hard numbers to give you, but from talking to him, if you wait for a 5lb. carcass, you're going to have a very tough bird because of age. He's actually butchering his birds to market as "baby chicken"-- sort of like the little "Rock Cornish hens" you can buy from the store.

He says they're great for that, and he's getting some premium prices from high-end restaurants.

Interesting! What age is he processing them at? That's one reason I was willing to learn to caponize was to keep the meat more tender. I'm from Columbia, MO, so he's welcome to contact me and we can talk chicken!
big_smile.png

Interesting! What age is he processing them at? That's one reason I was willing to learn to caponize was to keep the meat more tender. I'm from Columbia, MO, so he's welcome to contact me and we can talk chicken!
big_smile.png

Hey neighbor! I'm up the road a few miles, in Hallsville. Small world! I'm not sure what age he's butchering, but I'll mention this thread to him.
smile.png

Well, hi there!
frow.gif

You all are probably only about 15 minutes or so from me. Feel free to friend me on Facebook (Maren Bell Jones is my name) and if you ever need vet work or just want to grab a cup of coffee if you're in town and talk chickens, just holler.
big_smile.png

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but I've got a cockerel that I either had to give up (straight back to the breer for immediate death), or raise for meat. I've decided to raise him, but wondering what age we should butcher at. Thanks in advance for your input!

Back
Top Bottom