Faverolles??

the cluck juggler

Incubator Addict
Jun 12, 2017
Scandinavia
I bought some faverolles eggs from a regular person that hatched early january. (like, not from a show breeder. Most breeders in my country are people with a small backyard breeding stock that personally sell a moderate number of eggs and chicks each year.) They're 5 weeks now and... are faverolles chicks suppose to look like this?? Thinking it's either awful breeding stock or some oops-mixing (I see the breeder has cream legbar, australorp and RIR). I don't have high expectations in terms of coloration when buying eggs, but this is a little ridiculous. (just so that's said, not gonna push the seller.)

Most of them are black, guessing they're all males. One is grey(??) and one is brown. Hoping the brown is a girl... :hmm

Black DSC_0017-mod.jpg Grey DSC_0038-mod.jpg
Brown DSC_0023-mod.jpg Same brown. Very barred, and with some black too. DSC_0039-mos.jpg

the cluck juggler

Incubator Addict
Jun 12, 2017
Scandinavia
Well, they at least have favrolle blood in them. They have the feathered legs, 5 toes... but they aren't supposed to be barred.
What color(s) were the eggs they hatched from?
They're salmon colored. From the pic's I can find online, they shouldn't be barred. Laced yes, but not barred. Cream Legbar that the seller also have are barred, sooo maybe a legbar rooster got into the faverolles pen? Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Haha!

I agree with @Frazzemrat1
And I do think it's possible they could all be cockerels. Can you post more pictures in a few weeks?
All the black are definitely cockerels. The grey one? Depends on if it's a mix or not. I suspect the brown one might be a male too, since it has a lot of black in it. The salmon girls are purely brown and beige. Still have my hopes up though... :hmm
It's safe to say this brood was a complete disaster!

keesmom

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
They're salmon colored. From the pic's I can find online, they shouldn't be barred. Laced yes, but not barred. Cream Legbar that the seller also have are barred, sooo maybe a legbar rooster got into the faverolles pen? Wouldn't be the first time that happened. Haha!

All the black are definitely cockerels. The grey one? Depends on if it's a mix or not. I suspect the brown one might be a male too, since it has a lot of black in it. The salmon girls are purely brown and beige. Still have my hopes up though... :hmm
It's safe to say this brood was a complete disaster!
It's not unusual at all for Faverolles cockerels to be very messy color-wise as juveniles. They will change quite a bit before they mature. I've had many over the years that were a complete hodgepodge of colors at this age and they looked no different than there cleaner brothers at 10 months of age.

Jedstar

Chirping
Jan 12, 2020
Australia .Northern Territory
I bought some faverolles eggs from a regular person that hatched early january. (like, not from a show breeder. Most breeders in my country are people with a small backyard breeding stock that personally sell a moderate number of eggs and chicks each year.) They're 5 weeks now and... are faverolles chicks suppose to look like this?? Thinking it's either awful breeding stock or some oops-mixing (I see the breeder has cream legbar, australorp and RIR). I don't have high expectations in terms of coloration when buying eggs, but this is a little ridiculous. (just so that's said, not gonna push the seller.)

Most of them are black, guessing they're all males. One is grey(??) and one is brown. Hoping the brown is a girl... :hmm

Black View attachment 2023797 Grey View attachment 2023799
Brown View attachment 2023798 Same brown. Very barred, and with some black too. View attachment 2023800
I'm not an expert but those colours look like faverolle colours.I'd ask the breeder if he keeps his breeds in separate pens.

the cluck juggler

Incubator Addict
Jun 12, 2017
Scandinavia
It's not unusual at all for Faverolles cockerels to be very messy color-wise as juveniles. They will change quite a bit before they mature. I've had many over the years that were a complete hodgepodge of colors at this age and they looked no different than there cleaner brothers at 10 months of age.
Oh good! Thank you! :) Haven't had Faverolles chicks before, and just saw from pictures that the boys are black and the girls brown... and then I got a grey one... Haha! Will be interesting to see if they'll turn out as they should when they grow up.
Is it the same with girls? Or are they more "stable" in color and pattern.

ColtHandorf

Crowing
Feb 19, 2019
Commerce, Texas
Girls, especially those that aren't from show-quality lines can be just as inconsistent in color. Lots of people in the states post photos of pullets they've gotten from the hatcheries here that are nearly as dark as males and lacking beards/muffs too boot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom