Favorelles and laying two eggs a day?

BansheeBenji

Chirping
Apr 29, 2018
For context, I have a Salmon Favorelle named Queenie, and a Green Queen (lots of salmon favorelle ancestry) named Dolly.

When Queenie first started laying she used to lay two smaller eggs each day, and she did this through when she first began laying until she fully moulted for the first time around 18 months. It was surprising when she laid just one egg, and they were pretty distinguishable for their pinkish color so it was easy to know they were hers. She'd lay one in the morning and another in early afternoon, and she never had any issues. Then after that she started laying just one medium sized egg a day, and now at four, almost five, she lays a couple here and there throughout the week.

Now there's Dolly. She just started laying, like two days ago, and lo and behold, there were two eggs of hers in the coop this evening. They're minty green, she's the only one that lays eggs that color in my little flock. She's five and some change months old. This morning she was grouchy (anyone else find favorelles are not quiet AT ALL, and make the strangest sounds, contrary to what everyone says about their breed haha) and now I get why. Both her eggs were very small but it must have been so annoying to have to lay two in one day.

So I guess my question is: has anyone else had this with experience with favorelles, or is this just a funny fluke? I've never had any other breed of chicken do this.

Also attached: her first two eggs.

Attachments

• 20220909_124051.jpg
    20220909_124051.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 27
My faverolles are not good egg players but I get plenty of eggs, so I'm not pushing them. 2 eggs a day especially a few hours apart is not something I've heard of. Usually when people say 2 in one day it's like 20 hrs apart.

My faverolles are not good egg players but I get plenty of eggs, so I'm not pushing them. 2 eggs a day especially a few hours apart is not something I've heard of. Usually when people say 2 in one day it's like 20 hrs apart
I've heard favorelles aren't good layers too but mine didn't get the memo I suppose. I don't do anything special to increase egg production. It's definitely been my experience that it's only a few hours apart though. Guess I've just got a pair of weirdos haha

Back
Top Bottom