Favorite Bugs And Insects

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WestminsterHens, Mar 11, 2013.

1. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    What are your chickens favorite bug or insect? My chickens love Potato Bugs [any type of bug or insect really they even ate a rat once!] They usaully don't bother trying to eat ants though, they are to small.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine eat anything they find or can catch. They don't seem to be too interested in ants, either.

Chris

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Mine love the potato bugs too! We get a lot of these guys after it rains and my hens go crazy. Watching them eat these giant bugs it what made me first realize they really are dinosaurs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Sometimes a Butterfly will drift near my chickens, the next moment it's gone! Poor butterfly.

5. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Mealworms and bush cockroaches are our chicken's favourite bugs..they don't seem to go for the ants, although they did when they were younger.

6. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Spiders are gone in a second near my gals. We are just getting into the raising of chickens again since we were kids years ago. Today we are introducing crickets from the pet store to our 6 week olds. Their favorite treat is Blueberries. If given the choice, they always go after a blueberry over a bug, which seems odd to me.

My wife wants to free range them in the backyard, but we are going to wait until they get a bit older. We have too many hawks and eagles floating around so I wont let them out unless I am going to be working in the backyard and around them. We aren't allowed a rooster in the city limits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by