favorite cochin with badly sprained leg - cure? (UPDATE post 14)

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well, of course this only happens to "the favorite one", right?
he.gif

My little blue pullet Kiwi sprained her leg jumping from the nesting box to the floor, I saw it happen about two days ago- since then her limp has gotten more and more pronounced, poor thing... She could hardly walk this afternoon
sad.png

With rest and isolation from the gang (small box, nothing to jump on) - will her leg heal by itself?

If yes, how long should it take?

Anything else I need to be doing?

(yes I isolated her in a small 2' x 4' condo before bedtime today)

Thank you!
bow.gif

Last edited:
Okay, I hate to say it, but I broke one of my cochins legs before. I was moving them in the tractor and when I sat it down, I dropped it right on her leg. Her leg just dangled around. I felt terrible, but didn't know what to do, so I just put her in a cage, gave plenty of feed and water and she healed on her own. She runs around outside with the others now! Yours will probably be fine, just give her time to heal.

My girl has something I'm guessing is a sprain and she's been in isolaton (an xxl dog crate) inside with no improvement, but it's just over 24 hours. I'd love to get updates on how yours is doing. Mine is a bantam cochin about 7 months old.

OK she is NO better after 4 days of confinement.

She stretches out her bum leg straight out, like she's trying to do a split - she can hobble around but it looks painful.

I've tried feeling for anything dislocated, to no avail.

Is it a bad sprain? Can she get better on her own with further confinement?
sad.png

No photo... it's hard to see her leg at all with all the fluffy feathers (cochin hen!) - she was fine and normal up until a week ago, I saw her jump from the nesting box to the floor and she must have landed badly because she started limping then (not spraddle leg).

Sigh. I guess I will keep her confined for a couple more weeks...
hmm.png

Is the split front/back or side/side? Any trouble with balance? Sight? Wing drooping? I assume you've checked for bumblefoot. Any vaccinations? How old is she?

She's about 6 or 7 months old and just sprained her leg jumping down from the nesting box to the floor (I was there when it happened)...

She hobbles around, limping and lurching, and when I pick her up her bad leg just hangs there, limp. If I put her on the cement floor of the garage her bad leg sticks out straight at 10 o'clock (imagine your body is a clock, normal stance is 9 and 3).

I don't know if it's her hip, her knee or her ankle - will rest in a small space make it better or worse because of lack of muscle use?

I feel so helpless!

This gentle, sweet and gorgeous girl started laying about 3 weeks ago, gives me about 6 eggs a week!

Edited to add:

Any trouble with balance? Sight? Wing drooping? No, no and no.
I assume you've checked for bumblefoot. yes, feet are normal.
Any vaccinations? No.

hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom