Favorite duck breed and why?

Pics
My favorite breed will always be Muscovy, purely because the first-ever pet duck I owned was a Muscovy that was given to me as a newly hatched duckling by the owner of a local feed and poultry supply. Muscovy drakes are uglier than sin to a lot of people but if my Muscovy wasn't the sweetest duck I've ever seen, always following you around and hopping in your arms to get hugged, he even got along with our dog and would routinely give him duck kisses on his nose.
Honestly though if you're a first-time duck owner maybe go with a Pekin or Indian Runner? They're two of the more popular breeds and as such have a lot more readily available info about their specific needs near about as I can tell

My favorite breed will always be Muscovy, purely because the first-ever pet duck I owned was a Muscovy that was given to me as a newly hatched duckling by the owner of a local feed and poultry supply. Muscovy drakes are uglier than sin to a lot of people but if my Muscovy wasn't the sweetest duck I've ever seen, always following you around and hopping in your arms to get hugged, he even got along with our dog and would routinely give him duck kisses on his nose.
Honestly though if you're a first-time duck owner maybe go with a Pekin or Indian Runner? They're two of the more popular breeds and as such have a lot more readily available info about their specific needs near about as I can tell
Muscovies are adorable to me, I find their sort of ugliness really cute. Your muscovy sounds like a wonderful duck. Someday I'd like to own muscovies, maybe once I'm more experienced. Our dog would eat any duck haha, I wish she would get along with ducks like yours did.

Sadly I'm not getting ducks, I was going to get runners but my mom wanted quail instead. I'm also not a first time owner, I've owned a mallard before, he was awesome, sadly had to give him up to a wildlife rehab once he was old enough to be released. Didn't get to release him myself.

Thanks for replying!

Muscovies are adorable to me, I find their sort of ugliness really cute. Your muscovy sounds like a wonderful duck. Someday I'd like to own muscovies, maybe once I'm more experienced. Our dog would eat any duck haha, I wish she would get along with ducks like yours did.

Sadly I'm not getting ducks, I was going to get runners but my mom wanted quail instead. I'm also not a first time owner, I've owned a mallard before, he was awesome, sadly had to give him up to a wildlife rehab once he was old enough to be released. Didn't get to release him myself.

Thanks for replying!
Quail can be fun in their own right! They aren't really hands on pets, if anything they're more akin to a guinea fowl in that regard but they're super cute and entertaining to watch run around in their enclosure.
I'd discuss getting a pair of ducks with your mom still, if now now then maybe in the future?

Quail can be fun in their own right! They aren't really hands on pets, if anything they're more akin to a guinea fowl in that regard but they're super cute and entertaining to watch run around in their enclosure.
I'd discuss getting a pair of ducks with your mom still, if now now then maybe in the future?
Yes we're possibly planning on getting ducks in the future, we're just going to start with quail. And actually one of the quail we're getting is apparently really cuddly, which I'm super excited about.
But yeah, we're thinking about getting a pair of runner ducks in the future. :)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom