Favorite Hatchery

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by standardbanty, Nov 8, 2008.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi everybody..
    i was just wondering what hatchery has the "best quality not quanity" ...
    i was really looking toward Murray McMurray Hatchery. If you've ordered from them give me a holler!

Thanks

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I cannot speak for McMurray but I have seen posts of many issues with them. I ordered from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and really loved them and will order from them again.

Great customer service, great babies (I did have one SF with an overbite of sorts) and great shipping!

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    All the hatcheries are getting their hatching eggs from the same people, so it truly makes no difference. There are a few exceptions to this; but in general just order from the hatchery closest to you. The less far the chicks travel, the better.

Of course, if you find specific breeders of specific birds you want, that will always be higher quality. Commercial/online hatcheries simply incubate eggs, ship the chicks and sell the chicks from hatching eggs provided by 3rd parties.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I ordered my first chicks ever....from Cackle. They all made it. I was happy with getting what I asked for but customer service was not so great. They were hard to get a hold of. But I need to remind myself that it was spring and I'm sure it was extremely busy at that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by