Favorite hawk deterrents for free-range chickens?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I know... I know... free-ranging comes with risks. I do have a covered run, but I'd like to let my girls roam, at least for a few hours a day. They're in a fenced yard, and I have dogs, so they've stayed pretty safe from other potential daytime predators. But I'd like to try and beef up my security against hawks a bit. What is your favorite hawk deterent? What hawk deterents have you tried that failed? There's so much online. Does the reflective tape work, or does it scare the chickens, too? I know that nothing is 100% fool-proof, but I want to do what I can. I am not a fan of fake owls, but I just learned about ones that move, so I might try that. Do scarecrows work if you move them from time to time? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

I know... I know... free-ranging comes with risks. I do have a covered run, but I'd like to let my girls roam, at least for a few hours a day. They're in a fenced yard, and I have dogs, so they've stayed pretty safe from other potential daytime predators. But I'd like to try and beef up my security against hawks a bit. What is your favorite hawk deterent? What hawk deterents have you tried that failed? There's so much online. Does the reflective tape work, or does it scare the chickens, too? I know that nothing is 100% fool-proof, but I want to do what I can. I am not a fan of fake owls, but I just learned about ones that move, so I might try that. Do scarecrows work if you move them from time to time? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
I don't free range I have a small fenced-in area for my chicks to roam in and I have hawk problems and I will be getting a fake owl to help out. lots of people recommend for me to get that so that might help out

F7BEAF7B-8E43-4167-B972-BA5CB81B3650.jpeg

The only things you can do to keep them safer is keep their feeders and water bowls close to cover and not out in the open. Honestly a lot of it depends on the individual birds and how well they notice danger. The more birds loose the better to spot something but that’s also more birds for a hawk to pick from. There’s always a risk free ranging but the risk is definitely worth it imo. The birds will be healthier, their feathers will be better and they’re less likely to develop bumble foot from walking around on packed down dirt.

As the OP said, when you free range, that's the risk you take. A couple of times a hawk killed a bird. Once not 10 feet away from me. It happened fast. The hawk did kill her but didn't take her. The nest time my husband was cutting some wood on his saw which was right next to a small temporary pen some chicks were in and a hawk flew in and grabbed a chick. It too happened very fast with no time to react. I have large covered pens for my birds and they are very content in their pens. I have opened the gates to let them out and they do come out but stick close and before you know it they are all back in their pens. My land is open pasture so there are no places for them to hide and both times with the hawks it happened so fast there really wasn't any time to react. Good luck...

My dog is a pretty good livestock guardian, however, I still wouldn't leave them outside free ranging unless I'm out there. Scarecrows do not work.
Perhaps consider hanging netting over an area.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079XSHJM...abc_T21JR86W0261ZE4Q465G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I heard that crows harass hawks and keep them away, and I have seen this happen. Unfortunately I don't have crows every day so I ordered Black Australorp pullets last spring, early March 2020. They are fully grown now of course and look like a gang of big ol' crows on steroids. Have not seen a hawk in many months. I am determined always to keep BA in my flock.

I heard that crows harass hawks and keep them away, and I have seen this happen. Unfortunately I don't have crows every day so I ordered Black Australorp pullets last spring, early March 2020. They are fully grown now of course and look like a gang of big ol' crows on steroids. Have not seen a hawk in many months. I am determined always to keep BA in my flock.
Yes, hawks avoid crows. You can Google how to attract crows...I used peanuts in the shell and lots of perches. And we did have more crows that hawks while I provided these thinks, but I couldn't afford to keep doing it.

Back
Top Bottom