Favorite hen SICK - skinny, green/yellow poop, droopy

hebertchick12

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Raceland, LA
For the year and a half we have been raising chickens, we have not had to deal with illness unfortunately until now.

Our favorite hen has been sick for at least a week (that I have noticed). Here are some symptoms:
- doesn't leave the coop much (usually find her sitting near the door just watching the other hens)
- very skinny (weighed her last night at 2.2 lbs)
- stopped laying eggs
- pale comb
- green and yellow poop
- clear bubbly mucus in mouth
-droopy tail

This was last Wednesday

Bought some Corid yesterday morning even though have no idea if this could be coccidiosis or not.
We let our chickens out to free range about 30 min before dark, and yesterday she was sitting on our back patio steps while the rest had already gone back in the coop. Brought her inside and noticed she is eating and drinking. This was this morning:

We do have dogs, a cat, rabbits, and a duck... Not sure if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We really do not want to lose her!

I cant offer much help, other than my girl (i only have 2) is also poorly. I am hoping she just has vent gleet and i have started treatment for this. is it possible to feed her something to boost her immune system such as vitamins/ booster tonic? Perhaps this will help to re hydrate her as her poo is like diarrhoea.
My girls comb since a few days of tonic and cider vinegar is getting redder again. I thought i was going to lose her last week.

Well, she is dying as I am typing this. And I still don't know why. She is seriously skin and bones. The mucus in her mouth is clear, and really thick. It has a very foul smell. I don't know what more to do.

From what I have seen, yes. But she has consistently lost weight and her crop never feels full. And of course, I sold all her chicks before she got sick. Would have loved to keep her offspring. :(

Back
Top Bottom