Favorite Place to get Chicks

What is your favorite place to get chicks?

• Big hatchery by mail (if so, name which one/s)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Small local breeder

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • TSC/other farm store

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Poultry swap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Craigslist/Facebook market etc

• Buy hatching eggs & hatch your own

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • From your own flock

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t get chicks, I buy older birds

• Total voters

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
What is your favorite place to get new chicks? There are sooo many opportunities for chicken math! Lol Which one is your favorite (& tell why in the comments if you’d like!)

I hatch my own mutts (Why buy mutts when I can make almost any kind I want [Starcombs, ripoff EEs, flytying specials, Nns, sexlinks, all can be made out of my birds]), buy eggs of the harder to get birds (mosaics, ayam cemanis, araucanas, quail), buy from tsc if I need broodybreaker pullets or they have what I need/ unspecified bins and buy from hatcheries if I want a common specific breed (rather like IDEAL, Cackle, Dunlap and Murray McMurray, like the quality I got from Hoover but I'm still sore about the lack of communication regarding shipping delays)

I hatch my own mutts (Why buy mutts when I can make almost any kind I want [Starcombs, ripoff EEs, flytying specials, Nns, sexlinks, all can be made out of my birds]), buy eggs of the harder to get birds (mosaics, ayam cemanis, araucanas, quail), buy from tsc if I need broodybreaker pullets or they have what I need/ unspecified bins and buy from hatcheries if I want a common specific breed (rather like IDEAL, Cackle, Dunlap and Murray McMurray, like the quality I got from Hoover but I'm still sore about the lack of communication regarding shipping delays)
You have quite the flock! @JacinLarkwell 😊

I got my first chicks from TSC. I would buy from them again, but pullets only. My 3 straight run were all boys, and I'm convinced that Townline (my TSC's hatchery) uses "straight run" as code for "we're not sure enough it's a pullet to put it in the pullet bin."

I got my chicks this year from a small brooder, but I don't think I'll use them again. I think the chicks are fine, but the experience was sub-par. And this isn't golf. Others have spoken highly of them, so I'm not going to name names; I probably just had a less than good experience.

I just got my first set of chicks from Cackle Hatchery. It has been a great experience other than the wait time.. I was selective on the breeds and had to wait until they cycled back around. I ordered 15 birds and got 19.. 1 extra for each breed I selected. All are about 5 days old now and healthy with knock-on-wood no signs of the pasty butt or other issues thus far. Just fed them their first taste of mash and they are devouring it. If you go the mail-order route... DO NOT trust the post office to call you when they come in.. I waited and waited but got no call. Finally, at 1 pm I called and could hear them in the background.. chirping. I drove like Richard Petty getting to them.

My experience is still limited, but I've been very happy with chicks from Ideal -- I suspect that this is at least in part because they're in Texas so I can be assured that their chicks are pre-adapted to southern heat.

My farm-store (from Welp), chicks turned into good hens, but I think I prefer to order directly.

I look forward to hatching my own.

My experience is still limited, but I've been very happy with chicks from Ideal -- I suspect that this is at least in part because they're in Texas so I can be assured that their chicks are pre-adapted to southern heat.

My farm-store (from Welp), chicks turned into good hens, but I think I prefer to order directly.

I look forward to hatching my own.
My TSC chicks are 100 x’s more skiddish than the ones picked up from a hatchery within driving distance from me. I wonder if farm store chicks get skiddish from being on the store display and constantly running from the hands that take their friends away....

Back
Top Bottom