Favus, fungus, or dry skin on my silkie roo??

MIgourdgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Benton Harbor, Michigan
Can anyone give me a heads up on what the white powdery looking substance is on my silkie roos wattles. It's on both wattles. No raised bumps or anything--just kindof like someone lightly painted some white paint on his wattles. I have noticed a couple other chickens with a very small amount of this on wattles--no one is losing feathers so far. The weather finally warmed up here in Michigan, and I have snow melting everywhere, plus it has been raining, so my chickens are getting wet. There were a lot of cobwebs in the rafters of my chicken building when I was able to start cleaning out after winter. I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, or help. So far, all chickens are acting normal and happy--this roo is crowing and sparring with another roo, eating okay--doesn't seem to be troubled. Haven't seen anything like this in the past, but would like to know if it's bad news.

Thanks

39464_silkie_roo.jpg

ary09

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Georgia
I have silkies and they seem to have the same substance. They act fine and they seemed to have had it since I have had them. I don't know what it is either but I just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one with silkies like that. I don't think that you should be alarmed. I hope I am not wrong though!
wink.png

MIgourdgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Benton Harbor, Michigan
Thanks for your input. I feel better. I just got some eggs I ordered for some new silkies, and I didn't want to be dealing with some kind of outbreak with new chicks coming in down the road.

Laurie

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
Silkie roos are supposed to have a blueish white tint to their ear lobs. It's normal.

Now, wattles are the parts that hang under the beak. If those are powdery, it probably dry skin. Use some vet-rx or petroleum jelly on them to help.

Last edited:

Top Bottom