Favus???? Something else???? Fungal????

The Vet also said that sometimes mites can be present but not detected under microscopic exam. He said he tried the Revolution to see what (if any) results he had from the application. As it turns out, the Revolution was effective at treating whatever it was that was causing her dry crusty skin and lack of feathers.
hello, try putting black castor oil on your hen's dry or featherless skin. i got a hen recently that had some feathers missing on her back, and after putting black castor oil on her skin every couple days, after about 10 days the area was coverd in new feathers and has grown in nicely

hello, try putting black castor oil on your hen's dry or featherless skin. i got a hen recently that had some feathers missing on her back, and after putting black castor oil on her skin every couple days, after about 10 days the area was coverd in new feathers and has grown in nicely
I have never heard of black castor oil, but after looking it up, I don't think I will try it. From the information I looked at, it sounds like castor beans are toxic to chickens. They contain ricin, which is lethal. The only way to remove the ricin from the bean is to autoclave (treat with high temperature steam under pressure; surgical instruments are sterilized using this method) or otherwise heat the bean for a long enough period (284 degrees Farenheit for 20 minutes) to detoxify the bean. When chicks were fed castor beans that were inadequately cooked, the mortality rate was 95%. Based on this, I don't feel comfortable putting castor oil on her. She is growing some feathers now but they are sparse. Maybe the next step is a skin biopsy.

Neem oil is a natural alternative in the treatment of mites and lice You can mix 3-4 tb cold pressed neem oil with 1/4 cup detergent in a 3 gallon bucket full of warm water and dip your chickens in it once a week until gone.

Hi are there any updates on this? My hen Coco's skin looks very similar, except she still has most of her feathers. But plenty of crusty yellow bits around the base of her feathers and some white flaky areas. I have also been using Clotrimazole and Miconazole but I'm unsure if it is actually working - her face skin looks waxy. Does this chicken get a lot of feather cysts / ingrown feathers like my one does? Did the Revolution end up seeming successful in treating her?

Back
Top Bottom