Favus will not go away

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
I am fairly certain this is favus. I have been using athletes foot cream on her face twice a day for probably almost a month now, and it seems to help, but the moment I miss a day for whatever reason it instantly comes straight back. I have to gently scrape some of it off her face and from her neck feathers sometimes. I am worried that she might have it all over her body, is there any like anti-fungal shampoo or anything I can use for the rest of her body? She smells so bad.

Pic of what it looks like after gently scraping some off her cheek:

1671215129317.png

That swelling is unusual. Does the cream contain miconazole?
She has shown symptoms of Mycoplasma for years, including the swelling. She took antibiotics for a while but I ended up taking her off them as I don't think they were helping and they slowed down her crop. The cream contains Clotrimazole but doesn't mention Miconazole on the package.

edit: here's a picture of her 5 years ago, you can see she still had weird swollen eyelids back then too. Only thing is I think her ears are more swollen now because they are crusted in fungus :(

1671217150357.png

You might try the miconazole cream, which is usually available for vaginal yeast or skin infections over the counter. Povidone iodine also can kill fungus, but take care keeping it out of her eyes. For eyes, I would use petroleum jelly or coconut cream. Do you have a vet or someone with a microscope who could look at a skin scraping for fungus? Is there any other area of her body with those flaky bits? How does her comb look?

You might try the miconazole cream, which is usually available for vaginal yeast or skin infections over the counter. Povidone iodine also can kill fungus, but take care keeping it out of her eyes. For eyes, I would use petroleum jelly or coconut cream. Do you have a vet or someone with a microscope who could look at a skin scraping for fungus? Is there any other area of her body with those flaky bits? How does her comb look?
Thanks, I'll see if I can get either of them. I do have a vet that sees chickens so I think I will take her to make sure I'm not wasting my time with antifungals if it's something completely different. :) She is also currently separated btw

She has flaky bits basically everywhere, though I initially thought it was just because she is moulting. Whenever you touch her she will start aggressively preening as if being touched is irritating her, which makes me think that maybe it's fungus rather than flaky skin / feather casings from moulting. Just mostly wondering what else it could be if not favus.

A dandruff shampoo (Nizoral, Selsun Blue, Neutrogena T gel, etc.) can also be used with a wet cloth and water to try and get some of that scaly skin off.

Back
Top Bottom