FDA says food from cloned animals is safe

I can't hear the word cloning without being reminded of the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton......and it worked out well there......like somebody's sign line here.....we don't need a fountain of youth......

I know there were concerns (and all sorts of doomsday speculation) about Dolly the cloned sheep dying young because of short telomeres [on chromosomes] resulting from cloning process, but I thought that when the dust settled it was determined that she died of some very ordinary sheep disease unlikely to have been related to her being a clone?

I am not sure I would consider cloned mammals' meat *exactly* (that is, proven) to be no different than 'regular' meat, but it wouldn't take much of a bet to get me willing to eat it
tongue.png

I do not think that devoting lots of money, resources and time into creating ever more specialized high-production-high-maintenance lines of livestock or plants is the way we oughta continue going however. And you know *that's* what cloning would go towards. Sigh.

Pat

My daughter sent me this link: http://health.webmd.com/cgi-bin21/DM/y/hwtt0hSSW0Jjp0BFQW0EF

The
big farm corporations are the people pushing for this, and it's not just to feed the world. The same corporations who fought for and won the right to put steroids in animal food for faster growth, ergo, less cost to market, antibiotics to keep animals from getting, or sick animals alive until they could be marketed. Check out how veal is raised, and, as far as I know, is still being raised. They're not cloning just for the good of the world population, folks. Thanks to these good people I have a nine year old granddaughter with breasts and pubic hair, and I suspect she will "become a woman" in about six more months. At least now I am raising our own food. It's a scary world we're living in now....

Quote:
Hard to say. My initial thought is that I would be less likely to "condemn" that animal because only half of its genetic makeup was mucked with, but it's still impossible to say for sure that the DNA from those mucked up genes won't be more susceptible to mutations like those that cause cancer. That could be bad for the animal and/or bad for the human consuming the proteins from that animal.

Quote:
This is exactly why I want to raise as much of the food my daughter eats as possible. I do NOT want her going through puberty till she's 30! (I'll settle for somewhere in her teens, but absolutely not in grade school.)

The FDA says it's okay, hmmmm, well they said that cold meds were safe to give to infants and young children. Look where that stands today. They quite making infant cold meds and the FDA issued a warning yesterday not to give it to children 2 years and under and are expected to issue the same warning for children under 6.

How many times have we heard from the FDA that something is safe just to have them come back later and say wait, it's not? I want more proof than an FDA's okay!
smile.png

Quote:
This is exactly why I want to raise as much of the food my daughter eats as possible. I do NOT want her going through puberty till she's 30! (I'll settle for somewhere in her teens, but absolutely not in grade school.)

I second, and third that!!

Back
Top Bottom