Fear I killed them all

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
The first hatched this morning, a black silkie. Today is day 20. It was flopping around like crazy in there, and one other had externally pipped. After it had mostly dried off, we quickly (super quickly) opened the incubator and took him out. Ever since then, the other one that had externally pipped has made zero progress. Now three more have externally pipped as well, one on the wrong end....ugh....and no one is really doing anything. I hear peeping off and on. The second one that had externally pipped was rolling and moving quite a bit this morning, but really not much since....it has been over 12 hours.
Could I have killed everyone by quickly opening the incubator this morning? Or could the silkie have killed everyone by slamming repeatedly into them for about an hour??? Everyone looked great on my day 18 candle 😕😕

The first hatched this morning, a black silkie. Today is day 20. It was flopping around like crazy in there, and one other had externally pipped. After it had mostly dried off, we quickly (super quickly) opened the incubator and took him out. Ever since then, the other one that had externally pipped has made zero progress. Now three more have externally pipped as well, one on the wrong end....ugh....and no one is really doing anything. I hear peeping off and on. The second one that had externally pipped was rolling and moving quite a bit this morning, but really not much since....it has been over 12 hours.
Could I have killed everyone by quickly opening the incubator this morning? Or could the silkie have killed everyone by slamming repeatedly into them for about an hour??? Everyone looked great on my day 18 candle 😕😕
Nope, nothing you did, or the chick. Give all eggs 24 hours from external pip to hatch on their own. That one that pipped the wrong end, keep an eye on it, it might need help. Might not.

I open my incu all the time. To the point of fully taking the top off (hovabator) and checking all the eggs. Even with pipped chicks. Haven't had a problem with it. Chicks get left in incu all the time too playing soccer with their buddies. They'll be alright. :D

@Rose Quartz has wise words! I would not keep going in and out of the incubator, but a quick in and out if you have one that keeps humidity/temp really well and recoups quickly, you should be okay for sure. Try not to make a habit of doing this, but once shouldn't make a huge difference - you can risk shrink-wrapping depending on ambient climate and incubator type so be careful. If the chicks haven't zipped after 24hrs from external pip you can consider helping, but not before. It takes time and it's up to them now :) So hard to wait!

Nope, nothing you did, or the chick. Give all eggs 24 hours from external pip to hatch on their own. That one that pipped the wrong end, keep an eye on it, it might need help. Might not.

I open my incu all the time. To the point of fully taking the top off (hovabator) and checking all the eggs. Even with pipped chicks. Haven't had a problem with it. Chicks get left in incu all the time too playing soccer with their buddies. They'll be alright. :D
I do the same. I have my incubator so full with completely staggered hatches and have zero issues from that.

Thanks everyone! I guess this little dude will be spending the night on his own, but hopefully others hatch by morning. It’s funny, he/she was chirping relentlessly when we put him in the brooder....my daughter put her stuffed chicken in, and the chick nuzzled right into it, quieted right down and hasn’t strayed from it since. Super cute!!!! He/she is eating, drinking and sleeping with his/her mama chicken 😃
FEFB3C16-9E70-43B5-B684-708DAFBE1364.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom