1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Color in 13 week old Silver Penciled Rock permanent?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cindy in PA, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My bantam SPRs are now 13 weeks old and I'm trying to pick the best 2 roosters, so I can take the 11 others out for more room. I know chickens molt several times before they are grown. Anyone know if the coloring of the primary wing feathers would be permanent at 13 weeks? I only have a couple that have the white at the bottom of their primary (?) wing feathers as seen in SPR pictures. Can I assume at 13 weeks that the ones with black feathers instead of white will stay black to maturity or is it too soon? Thanks for any insight.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I would think chickens with color patterns(like yours) are definitely going to change, chickens with solid colors may or may not change. 13 weeks old is very young still. Maybe you can use something else to determine who you get rid of, like foot color, shape of comb, or any thing else that does not fit to the written standard of perfection. I am not familiar enough with this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by