Feather Eating Behaviors

DaisyDaGuicken

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
I went to feed and check on my chickens today, and I noticed my rooster Bean, and one of my hens Honey, eating feathers off of one of my hens daisy. She seemed to care less about what they were doing with her feathers, but she was losing feathers from her tail and from her back. I didn't know what to do so I just watched. I think that there could be something I can do about it, but I don't have a source of protein to feed them for now because the store just ran out. Does anybody have any ideas? If you have any experience in this, or this has happened to you before, could you give me some ideas?

I know you said the store ran out of protein but does that mean they get separate protein from their feed? Eggs is a source of protein I’ve seen recommended a lot. I’ve used it for chicks before as well. Scramble the eggs and feed them those. I can’t think of much else but hopefully someone else will chime in as well.

I know you said the store ran out of protein but does that mean they get separate protein from their feed? Eggs is a source of protein I’ve seen recommended a lot. I’ve used it for chicks before as well. Scramble the eggs and feed them those. I can’t think of much else but hopefully someone else will chime in as well.
Yes, I have fed them some eggs before and they seemed to enjoy it! My friend who raises the chickens with me dosen't approve of me feeding too many eggs to them but I still do. I will feed them some more eggs when I can. Thank you for the info.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I usually feed crumble that it 17-19 percent protein and meal worms that are 30-40 percent protein. In the stores I buy chicken feed from, they usually sell this. Sometimes I give them meat scraps and shell as well.

Back
Top Bottom