Feather eating hens...

pacific23

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
Whitesboro , TX
Wife just got home with some dryed meal worms, i threw a handful in and it was on like donkey kong. The birds REALLY like them.
How often should I treat them and about how much (we have 6 hens) I bet they would eat the whole jug of worms if I let them.
Picking up Game Bird feed tomorrow.

You can treat them in different ways it doesn'thave to be meal worms. Chickens are like us they like a variety. Depends on how much you want to spend. Get some day old bread sometime or keep your table scraps from the kitchen. There is not much they won't eat. They love bread, wheat, grass clippings, bugs & worms, pancakes, waffles, leftover pumpkins from halloween, etc. etc.

I happen to have a couple pumpkins still in the back room. I was going for the protean to stop them from pecking each others feathers.

Mine ate 21 pumpkins this year. They had ham bone with the waste on it the other day. The dogs were jealous. Mine get whatever may be left over from food preparation or meals. Mine don't like cucumber skins, fennel, or beef bones. Mighty fine recyclers.

Chris

I was going for the protean to stop them from pecking each others feathers.

Your on the right track. Gamebird feed should fix the problem.
Also, I don't think there is a chicken out there that doesn't like meal worms. They can eat as much dried meal worms as they like. They're like popcorn for chickens, and not to bad if I must admit.

Back
Top Bottom