Feather Footed breeds-curling toes from feather shafts?

Elphaba2140

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Illinois
Hello-I have a question for those who raise feather footed chickens. I have what I believe are 3 Porcelain chicks (2 weeks old today). Today when cleaning and feeding them I noticed one of them had its outer toe curling under its foot. It has not been like this. I first thought his feathers were so encrusted it caused it but after cleaning with a soft brush and soap and water the toe remained so. I attempted to pinch the shafts to open the feathers but they are still quite tough. It seems the shafts of the feathers is the cause of this. They are so strongly curled on the one foot it is causing the toe to bend. I splinted it with Transpore tape and it is better. My question is this- would it be better to trim the feathers while they are growing out if this is the problem?

Hmmm...I don't know, but if you decide to try trimming, be VERY careful not to trim them too short, as they are blood feathers, and your chick can bleed to death (literally) from a broken or cut blood feather...

Thanks for the information. That is important to know. I have already had to replace the medical tape as he/she took it off. I didn't trim the feathers. Will leave the splint for a couple of days and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom