Feather issue

Dagmar101

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 1, 2017
Hi,
I have six chickens (no rooster), two of which are Salmon Faverolles (I also have a Cream Legbar, a White Leghorn, a Speckled Sussex, and a Maran). One of the Salmon Faverolles used to have the traditional muffs when she was little but the other chickens are "grooming" her so she has had a "naked" neck for a while now. The second SF never developed the muffs. Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that the backs of the SFs are "losing" feathers (the other chickens looks fine). I have not witnessed any fighting or pecking, they get quality layer feed from the feed store, greens, fresh water and always have access to oyster shells and crushed egg shells. They also have plenty of space (3 nesting boxes) and are allowed to free-range for about 30 minutes each day. I have also checked them for mites and have been spraying them (they also have access to a dust bath where I add diatomaceous earth), the coop, and changed their nesting box bedding. I am at a loss and would appreciate any insights.

Attachments

• IMG_5768.jpeg
    IMG_5768.jpeg
    996.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    872.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi,
I have six chickens (no rooster), two of which are Salmon Faverolles (I also have a Cream Legbar, a White Leghorn, a Speckled Sussex, and a Maran). One of the Salmon Faverolles used to have the traditional muffs when she was little but the other chickens are "grooming" her so she has had a "naked" neck for a while now. The second SF never developed the muffs. Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that the backs of the SFs are "losing" feathers (the other chickens looks fine). I have not witnessed any fighting or pecking, they get quality layer feed from the feed store, greens, fresh water and always have access to oyster shells and crushed egg shells. They also have plenty of space (3 nesting boxes) and are allowed to free-range for about 30 minutes each day. I have also checked them for mites and have been spraying them (they also have access to a dust bath where I add diatomaceous earth), the coop, and changed their nesting box bedding. I am at a loss and would appreciate any insights.
If your doing all that, and there is no sign of mites, and it’s the two of same age/breed you may be looking at a spring molt. How old are they?

The SFs are 1-year old. It is just odd that they are loosing the feathers on their backs. My other chickens have molted in the fall but they typically loose feathers all over.

The SFs are 1-year old. It is just odd that they are loosing the feathers on their backs. My other chickens have molted in the fall but they typically loose feathers all over.
The SFs are 1-year old. It is just odd that they are loosing the feathers on their backs. My other chickens have molted in the fall but they typically loose feathers all ove
Aargh sorry about the double quote lol. My phone is being odd.

I have some that lose the feathers on their entire backs, some that lose them on their butts, some that seem to barely molt. I think it depends on the chickens. And may be influenced by breed but I’m not sure. I have three BRs and they all molt miserably looking almost naked by the end of it. First molt is typically around 18mo. I would give them black soldier fly larva, they have good protein content and help with feather growth.

Back
Top Bottom