Feather loss? 3 months?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
This might be a dumb question, but I have a mix of young chickens between 2.5-3.5 months old. Also have ducks around the same age. Everyone is on flock raiser by purina. Out in a large run everyday, often get veggie and fruit scraps.

I am seeing feathers all over my coop and run. I know ducks go through a juvenile molt around this age and I can tell it’s mostly from my ducks (a lot of their down), but now I am noticing one of my cockerels’ feathers are all over. He doesn’t look thin or patchy at all. But I notice his large feathers in the coop (not just down). Is this normal? I am not noticing any of my pullets feathers laying around. They are all different breeds/colors, so I can mostly tell the feathers apart. I read they they don’t molt until around 18 weeks, but maybe I’m wrong?

Chicks have two or three juvenile molts. I couldn't tell when one started and the other ended. I think they were pretty much done with all of them by the time they started laying at about 20 weeks based on fewer feathers floating around.

Back
Top Bottom