Feather loss after treatment

Girl4Chickens

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Hi everyone!!, we have just ended a horrible infestation of chickens mites but now one of my hens is losing lots of feathers. She already had lots of feathers gone and we know she can’t lose anymore. She also has lots of broken feathers on her wings. We used the treatments DE and Seven plus we have two roosters which could also be the problem. Any ideas? Thank you for answering.

Are you sure there are no mites? I had some birds that I thought were molting but discovered they had mites. Some mites only come out at night so my suggestion would to be check the birds after they roost. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. I had no luck with DE. I had some luck with Sevin. I had my best luck with permethrin. With any insecticide one treatment isn't enough. repeat weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks works, at least it has for me. Nothing kills the pest eggs so repeat treatments are necessary. One bonus with permethrin is that there is no egg withdrawal period as there is with most other insecticides. I treated inside my coops thoroughly. Initially I sprayed the birds too. I even bathed them with people lice shampoo that you can buy most anywhere. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...

Here is what I have used.

Attachments

• Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
Are you sure there are no mites? I had some birds that I thought were molting but discovered they had mites. Some mites only come out at night so my suggestion would to be check the birds after they roost. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. I had no luck with DE. I had some luck with Sevin. I had my best luck with permethrin. With any insecticide one treatment isn't enough. repeat weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks works, at least it has for me. Nothing kills the pest eggs so repeat treatments are necessary. One bonus with permethrin is that there is no egg withdrawal period as there is with most other insecticides. I treated inside my coops thoroughly. Initially I sprayed the birds too. I even bathed them with people lice shampoo that you can buy most anywhere. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
We checked after checked our hens and treated them big time. This hen is starting to go broody and I just noticed the feathers but I do not notice anything on her or even eggs on her tail. It’s just I’m really scared for her because a lot of her feathers are gone and they aren’t growing back very fast.

I have dealt with mites in the past and I had some birds that looked pathetic. I thought they were molting but they were not getting their feathers back in and that is when I discovered the mites. The birds were loaded. At first I bathed them and it helped but did not get rid of the mites and it does not kill the mites eggs that is why repeat weekly treatments are necessary so as the mite eggs hatch out they will be eliminated. It took some time but eventually they improved. Sevin is no longer approved for use on poultry. Good luck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sevin-dust-and-spray-is-it-safe.1162915/

Back
Top Bottom