Feather loss, don't know why

xyuingnutfarms

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
hi there.. I have a lil rooster boy close to one year old, that's started to loose his feathers, first down the front of his neck and now onto his chest. His skin looks kind of red or irritated. He gets scratch and layer crumbles and healthy snacks. No one is picking on him tho I have noticed some gentle picking on him from his girlfriends.. Not sure if that's the problem or not. I'm wondering if it could be stress related from some frostbite he had gotten and is recovering from? Not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated. He just so happens to be my favorite also. A little sweet heart. Thank you!!

hi there.. I have a lil rooster boy close to one year old, that's started to loose his feathers, first down the front of his neck and now onto his chest. His skin looks kind of red or irritated. He gets scratch and layer crumbles and healthy snacks. No one is picking on him tho I have noticed some gentle picking on him from his girlfriends.. Not sure if that's the problem or not. I'm wondering if it could be stress related from some frostbite he had gotten and is recovering from? Not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated. He just so happens to be my favorite also. A little sweet heart. Thank you!!
P.s, I haven't noticed any feather loss in any one else, and he does seem to be acting normal, eating, drinking etc

Since you've seen mild picking, I would pick that as the culprit. If he has any red, irritated skin exposed, he will continue to be pecked.

Rub some iodine or Blu Kote on his skin to turn him purple, which may alleviate some of the picking. If you can determine WHO is doing it, confining them to a dog crate in the garage for a few days is usually enough "time out" to correct small behaviors like that.

Otherwise, have you checked him over for parasites or their eggs? Chickens will pull their own feathers out in desperation sometimes, if they are itchy enough.

Is he the youngest male in your flock with older girls?

Hope this goes away on its own. :)

MrsB

Tha
Since you've seen mild picking, I would pick that as the culprit. If he has any red, irritated skin exposed, he will continue to be pecked.

Rub some iodine or Blu Kote on his skin to turn him purple, which may alleviate some of the picking. If you can determine WHO is doing it, confining them to a dog crate in the garage for a few days is usually enough "time out" to correct small behaviors like that.

Otherwise, have you checked him over for parasites or their eggs? Chickens will pull their own feathers out in desperation sometimes, if they are itchy enough.

Is he the youngest male in your flock with older girls?

Hope this goes away on its own. :)

MrsB
thank you for the response. I haven't noticed any parasites but I will look harder and double check. Actually he is s few months older than the others he lives with. Do you think it could be stress from frostbite or a late molting? I just started reading that sometimes some will molt in the winter. I am new as of a year now as a chicken older. Always learning. Thanks again

Tha
thank you for the response. I haven't noticed any parasites but I will look harder and double check. Actually he is s few months older than the others he lives with. Do you think it could be stress from frostbite or a late molting? I just started reading that sometimes some will molt in the winter. I am new as of a year now as a chicken older. Always learning. Thanks again
is this okay do you know? I see it says caution/ poison on the iodine bottle

That iodine should be okay... As long as it's topical. :)

While it's *possible* he's molting, since we're almost into Spring, he should be done with molting... not just coming into it.

My spidey senses point to feather picking.

Do they have enough space and entertainment in their coop/run? :) Sometimes, hanging a cabbage from a string in their run can alleviate picking!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom