Feather loss on chicken's head.

chickadelic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014

I just noticed this morning that one of my hens has feather loss on both sides of her head. No blood. She is the only one and I have brought her in before it gets worse. I only have hens but I think it's because they hardly get outside in this brutal weather and the coop is not big. Do u think it is just bullying? I couldn't get a very good photo.

It is going to be -7 celcius, 20 F today so I will try to get them outside and give the coop a cleaning.

Yes hens will also peck the feathers around the head. But I would check her skin all over, but especially under the vent, wings, and around the neck for lice or mites.

That looks like normal pecking or bullying. Being coop-ed up in the cold weather makes everyone irritable. I'd say just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't keep pecking on her and make it bleed.

Thanks Texas Buffs and Eggsessive. I put some "Stop Pick Liquid" the red stuff on the plucked area. I let them out today and they loved it, even though they couldn't go far. I put a box out with cooled wood ashes and DCM and they played and picked in that. I put the suspect in a wired dog cage in the coop tonight. She didn't like it and I feel terrible to do it but she picks on everyone so much. I can't bring myself to kill her :(

These chickens were suppose to be for meat also . . . . . .who was I kidding :/

Thanks again for your input. It really helps :)

I have had a lot of issues with my birds feather picking this winter and pinless peepers have really helped us. I was terrified to put them on at first but I'm really glad I did cause it pretty much stopped the issue. This is where I got mine http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251464849933?lpid=82&chn=ps they even come with a tool which makes it easier to put them on.
how do these go on? how do they stop them from picking? Newbie sorry

They just clip right into the chickens nostrils. I am not entirely sure how or why it works but it does lol. It has something to do with blocking the view of objects directly in front of them or something. sorry I can't be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom