Feather loss

Leonard Spellman

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
Good Day. Writing from Devon, England. Two months back took over two laying hens from family who could not keep them. They came with house. Have them in large outdoor run in garden. One, called Dorcus, has, in past seven days lost very many feathers, bare patches of skin visible. When they arrived steamed cleaned house, and sprayed with anti red mite. Anti-mite carried out weekly. No infestation seen in hose or on birds. Other bir seems perfectly healthy. Very little knowledge of chickens. Last kept them as food during 2nd world War in London. Would very much advice and information from other who have knowledge of problem. Best wishes from across The Pond. Len Spellman.

Hi Len -

Welcome to BYC! Your girls may just be molting, and feather loss can be pretty severe! Just keep an eye on them. If they are acting fine and eating well, there should be no problem.

Quote:
have you considered molting?? When they lose ALOT of feathers almost overnight.. New ones start to grow in called pin feathers...It will be a good month or two before eggs begin appearing in your nest boxes again..It's normal and perfectly healthy for them to go through a few times in their lives-usually once a year...oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Yea, def sounds like molting, one of my hens is going thru the same thing, I freaked out at first until I found out about molting from the people on here. Go to the "Worst Chicken Molt Picture Contest" tab under announcements, there are tons of pics of molting hens, this should be able to help you know if that's what is going on or if it's something else, but if they are acting fine and eating, you should have nothing to worry about.

welcome-byc.gif
from Minnesota. Mine are going through a moult as well and their combs lose the red colour and turn grayish pink. You can give them extra protein to help them through re-growing their feathers. I give mine mealworms and sunflower seed pieces.

Back
Top Bottom