Feather loss

Snooksd73

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
My sister in law gave us 4 chickens last year, today I went back to her and got 4 more. The ones I picked up today look unhealthy. The feathers aren't shiny and lustrous like my first 4 and each of them has chunks missing, one her head is bald another's butt is bald.
Have I brought lice or something into the family?

Other than the pecking order arguments out there they have separated themselves into us and them, the first 4 and the second 4. Will they become a family?

Any wisdom would be much appreciated.

Mumma Chook

They could have had poor nutrition, or need some bug powder or worming. Or molting or picking for boredom or lack of space. Those are easy fixes. Hopefully you'll quarantine them for 30 days so you don't make your established hens sick.

Ah lack of space could well be it. They will now have a coop 3 times the size of the old one and less friends.

My partner moved them as soon as I read they needed to be quarantined. Might be too late. My sister in law said just put them in the coop while the other girls were in the yard dancing. Maybe she thought because they were all together before we took the first 4 it would be ok.

They are all the same age but have 2 littles, sweet sweet things

Back
Top Bottom