Feather loss

stevielynn

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Help please these are my first chickens And I'm not sure why she's losing so many feathers! I uses mite treatments and it didn't help at all:(

How old is she? I'm guessing that she's going through her yearly molt. Chickens often go through their first molt at around a year old, and go through one every year following that.

It's also possible that other birds are picking on her and pulling the feathers out. But, I'd first suspect molting.

She's about 4. I've seen them molt before but if that's what it is it's never been this bad. My two other chickens don't pick on her at all thank god. Can Molting be this bad ?

She's about 4. I've seen them molt before but if that's what it is it's never been this bad. My two other chickens don't pick on her at all thank god. Can Molting be this bad ?

Oh yeah lol. There is a worst molt competition thread here somewhere with a totally naked chicken running round in it :). Well worth a look!

One of my frizzles turned into a naked neck last time, dreading her next one!

Last edited:
Hi stevielynn
frow.gif

My first experience with a hard molt freaked me out! I came home from work and Dusty had lost heaps of feathers; I thought something was wrong with her and picked her up which she did not like.

I did not know that picking up a molting chicken can hurt them.

Here is the link to the Worst Chicken Molt competition and apps is right in that there are lots of naked and semi naked chickens running around; including my Dusty
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-fall-winter-2014

Thank you for posting these pics I have two chickens that look the same way...truly pittiful....feather everywhere and I was worried something was majorly wrong!
I guess different breeds handle molting differently cause I have some that are just loosing feathers a little bit!

Can anyone tell me how long they will molt for?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for posting these pics I have two chickens that look the same way...truly pittiful....feather everywhere and I was worried something was majorly wrong!
I guess different breeds handle molting differently cause I have some that are just loosing feathers a little bit!

Thanks for your help!
Chickens usually molt for 6-8 weeks. But, some finish sooner, and others seem to molt constantly, a few feathers at a time.

Last edited:

Thanks for your help!
The time it takes for a bird to molt varies. Some are really fast; basically dropping all their feathers and growing them in a few weeks. Others have a molt that drags out for 6+ months. The average molting time is usually around 4-6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom