Feather neck loss in dove

Kr-o

Chirping
Jun 21, 2023
Unfortunately I can't get my pet dove checked out as the nearest vet that accepts birds could either be 2 hours from town, or in central Texas. And that's a gamble I can't afford, especially during the high summer heat outside of traffic. But since late 2022, I've noticed my dove having some feather loss around his neck. It's hard to get a picture cause he squirms when held and hates the camera but these are the best examples of his feather loss.

20230418_194730.jpg

It doesn't look as bad when he's dry, but a chunk of his feathers are missing all the way down to the neck. It's more noticeable when wet.
20230219_134901.jpg

Otherwise he's a healthy boy. Coos all the time, preens like his life depends on it, takes old man naps all day (he's 14), and chases after anything to be confused whether or not he should fight or take it out on a date.
We've also checked for mites, and that doesn't appear to be the case with him. All gunk we've found so far were near blood feathers.

As added notes. He does have an injury he sustained as a fledgling but never had that bald spot until recently (we're not sure how he got his neck injured, that's how my grandmother found him). And he's unfortunately a picky eater, so I'm concerned it's got something to do with his diet and might have to step it up with his nutrition nowadays.

EXTRA NOTE: his bald spot has not progressed nor improved, once the bald spot got to its peak, it's stayed like that since and he has no feather pulling tendencies and sheds/molts normally.

It doesn’t look so bad in the picture of him dry. Long life and normal behavior are a good sign that it’s not too serious.

Maybe it could be a diet related issue, what’s he eating?

It doesn’t look so bad in the picture of him dry. Long life and normal behavior are a good sign that it’s not too serious.

Maybe it could be a diet related issue, what’s he eating?
Super sorry for not responding any sooner! It's reassuring to hear that it may not be too serious outside of it potentially being nutrition related.

He mainly eats a seed diet which is hard to shake him off of as that's the only thing he's ate since he came into our care. I've tried supplementing it with vegetables only at some points with some sprinkled seeds, but I don't have much control over his diet since he's also my mother's bird (she loves and cares for him as well, but we do butt heads on his dietary needs).

Otherwise he's still trucking along as of writing this! Just sleepy cause I tend to sleep late at night and keep him up accidentally.

I think the brand is Zupreem, they make extruded pellets that can serve in place as a substitute for veggies. Maybe she could try those with him? I know some doves can/will eat them. If not I wouldn’t worry too much. Do you have any idea on the make up of the seed diet he’s currently on?

I know websites like Chewy sell complete seed diets for pigeons/doves. It seems pricey to buy a 40lb bag that lasts one bird seemingly forever but it is much much cheaper than buying dozens of the small 1-2 lb bags at $10 or more a pop at the store :)

I think the brand is Zupreem, they make extruded pellets that can serve in place as a substitute for veggies. Maybe she could try those with him? I know some doves can/will eat them. If not I wouldn’t worry too much. Do you have any idea on the make up of the seed diet he’s currently on?

I know websites like Chewy sell complete seed diets for pigeons/doves. It seems pricey to buy a 40lb bag that lasts one bird seemingly forever but it is much much cheaper than buying dozens of the small 1-2 lb bags at $10 or more a pop at the store :)
It's the Wild Harvest brand, the universal blend bags! But honestly, looking at Zupreem and stuff they have on Chewy, definitely gonna buy something nice for him. He tends to like the smaller stuff and this looks like a good fit for him!

Thanks for the recommendations ♥

Back
Top Bottom