Feather pecking

I have a hen that was being bullied. The other two hens started pecking her feathers out above her tail till it was raw. I think I’ve got them to pretty much leave her alone but now she’s picking at it herself constantly. No matter what I use and it looks terrible. I am using vetericyn, hen healer and pick no more. Not helping. How can I get her to stop. I was going to put her in a big cage inside the coop but if she is doing it to herself why do it. I don’t see any bugs. They are not crowded. I do not let them free range. What can I put on her that would taste bad but not hurt her?

I need to stop this right now or she is going to die. I need something that will taste bad but not hurt her. Anything I can find online is overseas and they don’t ship to us
Can you please clarify if she's doing this to herself or are the other hens picking her raw?

If you wrap her, the wrappings need to come off daily and the wound need to be tended to.
Please take photos of her wounds/injuries when you change her wrappings tomorrow.

My husband just had this great idea! The good old cloth face mask. She seems to be tolerating it well
Wait..do you have a rooster? That looks like the area that a roaster mounts. They leave some of the..easier hens.. bare in that area.

Can you please clarify if she's doing this to herself or are the other hens picking her raw?

If you wrap her, the wrappings need to come off daily and the wound need to be tended to.
Please take photos of her wounds/injuries when you change her wrappings tomorrow.
The others started it now she keeps messing with it.

that is the best idea yet....got the same hen healer, silver oxide, extra calcium, greens, grass hen treated water, and baby chick food and still pecking. Has no mites, and is in a dog kennel at night with ac etc....The face mask covers her tail top and top of sides...but she is also pulling feathers out all the way down to her vent and below. Headed to buy ivermectin spray or whatever that was above....I feel your frustration.

Back
Top Bottom