Feather picking! Why? Why?

Yes, they might be looking for protein and decided to get it from feathers. Farmer Kitty's and bigzio's advice is an excellent solution for the problem - sunflower seeds are a great source of protein . You can also give them bugs and meal worms(can be bought in fish pet stores or bait stores; the biggest favorite treat of them all, yet extremely inexpensive!) that are also rich in protein and they will have fun with it.

Good luck! Hope things go well soon!

I've been battling this issue since December myself, and am at my wits end! I've tried everything...BOSS hearts, fishmeal in their feed to up the protein...AviaCharge2000 in their water...hanging greens for them to pick at...applying Vick's / Rooster Booster anti-pick lotion / blu-kote...and on and on.....

So...I am SO hopeful that this Poultry Booster Yogiman is talking about will solve it once and for all. I noticed it has DL Methionine in it...the 'magic' ingredient perhaps.

Yogiman, I'm wondering how much of this to feed? The instructions say "top dress" but I'd like to know how much YOU fed since it seemed to make such a quick difference. I want to see some feathers grow back that don't get immediately pulled out again!!! I'm so afraid this has gone on so long that it has become habitual....

Anyways...hope you don't mind, peepkeeper that I hopped onto your thread and ran a bit with it
smile.png

peepkeeper we just went through this.

I now supplement with Aviacharge 200 in their water, which provides extra amino acids (to help with protein deficiency) as well as fether regrowth. I also am supplementing daily with protein in the form of:
black oils sunflower seeds (although these alone did not do the trick)
meat and fat scraps from organic meats
organ meats from organic meats
canned tuna
plain yogurt

The one "victim" was unable to regrow her feathers because they kept at them (looked different and tasty I guess). So we covered her bald spots with duct tape. The feathers are regrowing underneath and the duct tape falls off on it own (we've had to re-apply it). WE tried blue-kote, vicks vaporub, chicken saddles, to no avail but the dict tape works.

Good luck!! I think this will all be better in summer when they are not so bored and are out foraging for bugs (protein!)

Stacey

I think this will all be better in summer when they are not so bored and are out foraging for bugs (protein!)

Amen Seachick! I hope so too! I did buy mealworms and boy did the chickens go after them like candy, so we'll see what happens. I hope the Poultry Booster gets here soon.

I'm giggling at the image of a chicken covered with duct tape, like a lazy repair project. That I'd like to see!
lol.png

Last edited:
karmical,
I am so sorry being so late responding. Just now back to the computer after getting new baby chicks settled in.
You asked:
Yogiman, I'm wondering how much of this to feed?
Answer:
Instuctions say: Feed 1 scoop (1/3 oz), scoop included, daily for maintenance. During keep period, feed 2 ea. scoops daily.
Keep Period? Have no idea what that means.
I am keeping my pullets so I feed them 2 scoops as in Raisin Bran.
wink.png

This has been a frustrating ordeal for me, however, it seems to be under control now. You are right about the habit. That is a proven fact.

It is my understanding that this is a learned habit. One of my best layers (a golden-comet) is constantly pecking the two lowest on the pecking order. One has had a bald rump all winter. Should i cull this bird before i introduce new pullets ?

Back
Top Bottom