Feather plucking

PeterB94

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

A lot of my hens have the feathers missing at the base of their saddles and I witnessed one of the hens taking a dust bath and the others plucking/preening her quite intensely.

The chicken lying there isn't bottom of the pecking order and is quite fiesty so I'm unsure she's lie there and take it if it was malicious.

It'd Autumn here in the UK - are they just moulting?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-181426_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220925-181426_Gallery.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 82
Do you have a rooster?

If not, is the dominant hen mounting the others?
Hi @3KillerBs

Thanks for your reply.

I dont have a rooster. The video which I couldn't upload, unsure if videos are unsupported on here... was of 3 of the hens all plucking the one dust bathing.

All 5 hens have the same thing the only one who doesn't is the one whose just come out of quarantine for suspected fly strike.

What sort of feed are you using? Sometimes -- not always, but sometimes -- this behavior can be improved by raising the protein level.
Yeh iv read that a few times.

It's a well known brand of layers pellet although they do get protein sources from bugs and various sources.

They have a good size run and I give them various enrichment so I can't see those being the stress indicators

It's a pellet layers feed. I dont know the exact protein %.

What feed do you use if you don't mind ?

Also, why is it do you think that the chickens would just let it happen ?

It's a pellet layers feed. I dont know the exact protein %.

What feed do you use if you don't mind ?

Also, why is it do you think that the chickens would just let it happen ?

I feed all-flock with oystershell on the side because I have a mixed flock with juveniles and males.

Always at least 18% protein.

Hi.

I'm still having pretty severe problems with feather plucking. A lot of it seems to be happening at dust bathing time when the chickens don't want to move. It seems to be 2 chickens mainly that are doing it, one being a known bully...

Shes even scratching their backs. A lot of the chickens are looking really patchy now.

Any advice welcome

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010-200958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010-200958_Gallery.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221010-200945_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010-200945_Gallery.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221010-201113_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010-201113_Gallery.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 19

Back