Feather Plucking!

JenBirdRansom

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
Graham/Kapowsin, WA
I know they are a little bored because they won't go out in the snow, but I can't get the feather plucking to stop. I've moved birds around to try to change up the pecking order but they seem to just switch aggressors. I've heard of little glasses....what are they and how do you get them? How do they attach to the chicken and stay there?

They are called pinless peepers. I haven't used them, but do a search on here and you should find information.

You might also give them some things to alleviate boredom, like a flock block or hanging a whole cabbage up like a tetherball.

Feathers have protein, so some folks think increasing protein might help as well.

Good luck.

i went to agway and got this thing called a "Pecker Recker". I don't know if I had a pecking problem before, I think I did, but this thing gets pecked a lot! And the one hen I thought was being pecked seems to have her feathers back, for the most part. It has a wire hanger that you can hang it from a hook, tape or a string from a suspended feeder. It has grain and oyster shels along with more yummy nutritous treats.

hi - Happy Spring! but a comment regarding the suggestions - I have tried almost ALL of those - cabbage, protein, etc - and they are STILL doing it! I have one Black Orpington with a large part of her back bare, and all 7 have at least a small chunk of feathers missing near their tails, plus 4 have a large bare oval near their vents - how do you get this stopped so their feathers regrow???? does it have anything to do with having 4 different breeds? 9along with B>Orp - also Buff Orp, barred rock, and Ameraucana (easter egger) thanks for NEW ideas!

Tamar,
welcome-byc.gif

1) Have you checked them over for bugs? I'm wondering because of the missing fluff around the vents.

2) How much room do they have in the coop and the run and are they allowed to free range at all?

3) Different breeds together should have nothing to do with it. But did you introduce new ones into an existing flock?

they are not free range - yet - there is a fair amount of traffic and the road is right next to the barn - plus we have hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes...they were all raised together. they will be a year old this week!

Tamar,
welcome-byc.gif

1) Have you checked them over for bugs? I'm wondering because of the missing fluff around the vents.

2) How much room do they have in the coop and the run and are they allowed to free range at all?

3) Different breeds together should have nothing to do with it. But did you introduce new ones into an existing flock?
x2. I would check for mites and also make sure they have enough space. Overcrowding is the most common cause. Also are they eating the feathers or drawing blood? This could be a sign of needing more protein.

I've been struggling with this problem all winter. I tried all of the suggested remedies with no luck until I bought some "Pick No More" at TSC. It's a strong smelling thick lotion that you paint on the chickens bare spots. It's mostly natural ingredients but birds find the odor offensive and leave the picked ones alone. I only painted a few of my birds, but it seems to have done the trick. Even the ones I didn't paint have feathers growing back. Now that the weather has warmed and they can spend more time free ranging they're happier too.

Back
Top Bottom