feather pulling or helping out with a bath

jmdarrow

Chirping
Mar 21, 2015
west monroe, ny
My girls are 11 weeks old. I noticed this morning that my SLW was pulling feathersout of my BO as she was dust bathing under my spires. Is this a normal behavior or is Bea being a bully.

How many birds?
How much space?
What/how are you feeding?

Is Bea eating the feathers?

My Wynadottes are the meanest birds in the coop...not that breed usually has much to do with it.

Hi aart,
I have 6 birds,black GJ,BA,2BO,1SLW AND 1GLW.
COOP IS 4X8, RUN 6X10.
they were free ranging at that time and I also feed them chick starter. Yes she ate a couple of feathers. She is a little flighty and always have to Chase her to get her into the coop. But most of the time she's good.

Chick starter is good....20% protein?
Are you feeding lots of treats?

Feather eating can be a lack of animal protein....is there animal protein in your feed or treat regime?

Pulling one or two feather is not unusual.......but if it lots of feathers, could be a problem in the making.

18% protein, treats on occasion, dehydrated mealworms couple times a week. Didn't think it was good for them. If she keeps this up then I Will seperate her for a couple of days...

18% protein, treats on occasion, dehydrated mealworms couple times a week. Didn't think it was good for them. If she keeps this up then I Will seperate her for a couple of days...
That sounds pretty good.....maybe up her meal worms or other animal protein.

If the feather picking is not excessive I've leave her be.
Separating her for any length of time may lead to re-integration problems when you put her back.
Maybe just isolate her in a wire crate in the same area as the other birds, that should lessen any integration issues.

She may just be the dominant bird, and not a very nice one.

Last edited:
I worked late last night and up early and gone again this morning. Haven't been able to watch her, but I will free range them tonight and watch her carefully. Thanks for your advise. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom