Feather sexing silver laced wyandotte at 1-2 weeks old

sideWing

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Utah
I'm on my second batch of silver lace wyandotte and I wanted to make a few observations for anyone trying to sex their young SLWs. This may work for Wyandotte in general, but don't quote me on that.

A couple things to keep in mind.
1. I have read that not all wyandotte have the slow growing feather gene. I believe the two unrelated batches I have, do.
2. This is only my second batch and I'm open to constructive criticism, I'm far from an expert.
3. Sexing in this way was 100% accurate with my first batch. I will update on this batch when they are grown.

One male top of pic #1. Two females bottom of pic #1. The male was hatched 16 hours before the two females on the bottom. They are almost two weeks old here. Males wings are short, only half of his abdomen. At this point he shows no tail feather growth. The females wings reach to the end of the abdomen and they have a good start on their tail growth.

Pic #1

Pic #1 with comments

Pic #1 close up for detail. (You can click on images to make them bigger)

Picture #2 is arranged differently but with the same birds. I added it because it clearly shows the wing growth and tail growth of the female on the top left compared to the slower growing feathers of the male below her.

Pic #2

I'm on my second batch of silver lace wyandotte and I wanted to make a few observations for anyone trying to sex their young SLWs. This may work for Wyandotte in general, but don't quote me on that. A couple things to keep in mind. 1. I have read that not all wyandotte have the slow growing feather gene. I believe the two unrelated batches I have, do. 2. This is only my second batch and I'm open to constructive criticism, I'm far from an expert. 3. Sexing in this way was 100% accurate with my first batch. I will update on this batch when they are grown. One male top of pic #1. Two females bottom of pic #1. The male was hatched 16 hours before the two females on the bottom. They are almost two weeks old here. Males wings are short, only half of his abdomen. At this point he shows no tail feather growth. The females wings reach to the end of the abdomen and they have a good start on their tail growth. Pic #1 Pic #1 with comments Pic #1 close up for detail. (You can click on images to make them bigger) Picture #2 is arranged differently but with the same birds. I added it because it clearly shows the wing growth and tail growth of the female on the top left compared to the slower growing feathers of the male below her. Pic #2
thank you for this information. Very helpful!

I'm on my second batch of silver lace wyandotte and I wanted to make a few observations for anyone trying to sex their young SLWs. This may work for Wyandotte in general, but don't quote me on that.

A couple things to keep in mind.
1. I have read that not all wyandotte have the slow growing feather gene. I believe the two unrelated batches I have, do.
2. This is only my second batch and I'm open to constructive criticism, I'm far from an expert.
3. Sexing in this way was 100% accurate with my first batch. I will update on this batch when they are grown.

One male top of pic #1. Two females bottom of pic #1. The male was hatched 16 hours before the two females on the bottom. They are almost two weeks old here. Males wings are short, only half of his abdomen. At this point he shows no tail feather growth. The females wings reach to the end of the abdomen and they have a good start on their tail growth.

Pic #1

Pic #1 with comments

Pic #1 close up for detail. (You can click on images to make them bigger)

Picture #2 is arranged differently but with the same birds. I added it because it clearly shows the wing growth and tail growth of the female on the top left compared to the slower growing feathers of the male below her.

Pic #2
I concur with what you say. I raised chicks a year ago first time and observed hens getting tail feathers before males. I did lhave 1 roo who got tail feathers early so it isnt 100%. But its pretty darned close. I have 17 chicks now at 2 weeks old and im applying this knowledge today as i feel supported in my theory lol. Its my 2nd hatch using a broody hen and various eggs from my flock. My experience says its the best way and all thats required of me is food water and shelter. I have 3 roosters so even though the babiea hatch looking like mom, its like Christmas morning when the true feathers come out! I have a couple from last year that i still don't know who the father is but most i can tell.

I concur with what you say. I raised chicks a year ago first time and observed hens getting tail feathers before males. I did lhave 1 roo who got tail feathers early so it isnt 100%. But its pretty darned close. I have 17 chicks now at 2 weeks old and im applying this knowledge today as i feel supported in my theory lol. Its my 2nd hatch using a broody hen and various eggs from my flock. My experience says its the best way and all thats required of me is food water and shelter. I have 3 roosters so even though the babiea hatch looking like mom, its like Christmas morning when the true feathers come out! I have a couple from last year that i still don't know who the father is but most i can tell.

How'd it turn out?

Back
Top Bottom