Feather sexing young Chicks?

Although it was tough to watch, it was informative... wish I'd see this 5 weeks ago, my chicks are six weeks now so I guess I'll just need to wait for the crowing stage to determine which are male. Unless there is another option?

Quote:
I was just searching for this! I hope someone that knows will chime in
smile.png

Quote:
I found this information on here when I first started with chickens...I thought it was pretty interesting. Maybe it can help some of you. I'm still kind of in the dark because there are still "gray" areas that make you ask questions:)

Sexing chicks-4-6wks of age
According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Good Luck:)
ilovebuffs

I know this might sound silly but was the chick a male or female coz my 4 day old chick is yellow with White wings
smile.png

2 ducks,2chickens, 3 dogs , 1cat and 3 chicks AND another 4 on the way Yaaaaay!
big_smile.png

Xxxxx

I'm going through the same thing OP. Mine were a week old yesterday. Four have little tail feathers sticking out and one has nothing but fuzz back there. Mine is a different breed (part. rock) from the others though, so that may play a role. I ordered all pullets, so I'm hoping that mine is just a runt/slow featherer
fl.gif

I didn't realize I hadn't updated this post! I looked the pictures over again and thougth for a minute and I remember that the White one ended up ebing a Pullet & the Silver-ish with green legs turned into the most beautiful & sweet little Roo, I did rehome him though.

I can't remember about the others right now and am not sure which online album i have their pics in!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom