Feathered leg question

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
I have only ever owned clean legged chickens. This spring I hatched a bunch that were fathered by a rose combed white leghorn and I just noticed a couple have started to develop small feathers on their legs and feet. So my question is: are feathered feet a recessive trait? How would all clean legged chickens produce feathered legs? Thanks!

I have only ever owned clean legged chickens. This spring I hatched a bunch that were fathered by a rose combed white leghorn and I just noticed a couple have started to develop small feathers on their legs and feet. So my question is: are feathered feet a recessive trait? How would all clean legged chickens produce feathered legs? Thanks!
They must've had feathered feet
in their genes

I've read that there are several genes for feathered feet: at least two are dominant, and at least one is recessive.

Feathered feet usually indicate a parent with feathered feet, but as you've discovered it is possible (rarely) to get some feathers on the feet when both parents are clean-legged.

I've seen a few feathers on the feet of breeds that are supposed to have clean legs & feet (hatchery-quality chickens), but so far I haven't seen very many feathers on any of them. It has been just a few.

Back
Top Bottom