Feathering out speed--cockerels vs. pullets.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Andora, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I hatched out some baby chicks on June 1st and 2nd. Today they have some wing feathers, but I noticed that some of them just have the tip of the wing feathered out while others have nearly half the wing fully feathered. Do you think this has anything to do with their sex, or is just a fluke? I've read something about the different lengths in wing feathers involving sex right at first, but I'm not sure exactly how to tell...

Do you think I should try to mark the ones with fewer wing feathers to see if they turn out as roosters? [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oct 23, 2008
    Northwestern Minnesota
    [​IMG] No idea but am curious as to the answer!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Here's my experience:

cochins - (had one feather out much slower but she still appears to be a pullet) otherwise feathered out the same

ee's - feathered out the same

ameraucanas - males tails grew slower

wyandottes - feathered out the same

silkies - roo's topknot is feathering out slower

I only have one rir (jury's still out on whether it's a pullet or roo) and one gold sex-link pullet - both feathered out VERY slowly.

As you can see it really varies by breed. Usually slow tail feathering is a pretty good indication, but not always. Hope that helps a bit!

4. Andora

Andora Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Mine are SF/EE mixes and buff brahma/EE mixes.

So far none have tail feathers!

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    go to feathersite and click on sexing chicks. click on where it says chart. there is a chart on there that tells you what to expect. I have found that hens feather out quickly and they get their tails alot sooner than the males. I have ben going by the tail thing and so far its correct. The tophats and silkies are another matter.

6. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    With my Serama chicks, the tail feathers developed quicker on the roos.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    On my wyondottes & EE's everyone feathered out the same. I *know* I have some roos in my pullets order.

8. My last batch of salmon faverolles. The 2 males feathered out alot faster, and the 1 female was alot slower to feather out.

9. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    Here's my Bantam Cochins at two weeks and again at five weeks. One has poufy adult feathers, and the other is half bald! He also is developing a red comb and wattle while the other remains yellow. May I assume Pearl and Cueball are a pair?[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: