Feathering wrong or just different?

TimonHens

Songster
May 23, 2022
So Finger Lakes NY
So as a first timer I'm somewhat regretting starting with a random assortment.
Westly arrived mostly dead a little over 2 weeks ago, pulled
PXL_20220523_234117839_exported_691_1653358914056.jpg
through. Survived the great brooder unplugging. (Rip Buttercup) Developed pasty butt but handles cleaning nicely. Not hyper, not hidden.
But the wing feathers are not normal. Just a couple few and look like something trimmed for millinery. I don't know right terms.
Do they need different better food? Medicated starter, ground with oats and a dash of cornmeal and some garden dirt and grit every 3rd day.

Or is this a feature?

They were pestered enough tonight so the photo was on the run.

So as a first timer I'm somewhat regretting starting with a random assortment.
Westly arrived mostly dead a little over 2 weeks ago, pulled View attachment 3121110through. Survived the great brooder unplugging. (Rip Buttercup) Developed pasty butt but handles cleaning nicely. Not hyper, not hidden.
But the wing feathers are not normal. Just a couple few and look like something trimmed for millinery. I don't know right terms.
Do they need different better food? Medicated starter, ground with oats and a dash of cornmeal and some garden dirt and grit every 3rd day.

Or is this a feature?

They were pestered enough tonight so the photo was on the run.
Maybe it's the photo but to me they look like pin feathers

Maybe it's the photo but to me they look like pin feathers
That’s what I was thinking as well. Do they seem to have a sheath over the feathers that are growing in? If so, they will unfurl into full feathers soon. Maybe this chick is just a little delayed due to its rough start. Best to stick with just the starter food for a while to make sure it’s getting enough protein.

It is all so new. And since it was an assortment plus eggers there are more chicks dissimilar than same, so everybody is feathering in their own way.
Tried a little hand feeding of yolk and got pooped on, so passed on any vent polishing for Westly for the day. They were moderately busy.

Not sure how to get the timid ones to trust if I am not supposed to bribe them yet. Surely worms function as protein and they'd be getting some hen raised?
Was thinking to start field trips later this week.

PXL_20220526_161946526.MP.jpg

Here they are in the center from top down. Still scraggly compared to others but not especially bothered. Tried a little boiled egg, have vitamins on order.

Back
Top Bottom