Featherless bum

FRCBfarm

Hatching
Sep 22, 2020
My chicken, Basil, has no feathers on her bum. She has been like that all her life, and she still runs, plays, and lays eggs. My question is if the winter is going to hurt her bum, since it has no feathers. I live in Raleigh, NC, so it gets moderately cold, and usually snows about once a year. Like I said, I don't think she is sick or has mites, but I don't know how the cold weather will affect her. Thanks

Can you post any pictures of her bottom and vent area? How old is she? Have you seen any broken off feathers? Many times a bare bottom is due to feather picking by others. Sometimes feathers will not grow back until after their yearly molt. If you lived in a very cold region, it might be something to worry about getting frostbite, but in NC, it shouldn’t be too bad. My chickens usually roost on 3 inch wide boards, and they sit on their feet to keep them warm.

Can you post any pictures of her bottom and vent area? How old is she? Have you seen any broken off feathers? Many times a bare bottom is due to feather picking by others. Sometimes feathers will not grow back until after their yearly molt. If you lived in a very cold region, it might be something to worry about getting frostbite, but in NC, it shouldn’t be too bad. My chickens usually roost on 3 inch wide boards, and they sit on their feet to keep them warm.

I got my 5 White Leghorns last September. They all had bare butts. I believe the guy who owned them before me let them sleep in the nest boxes. They were pullets when I got them. ? age as they were laying. I have them on roosts now and a couple have grown feathers back there this summer. But they did fine last winter here in Maine. I used to live near Raleigh and you don't get near the cold we do. They'll be ok if the have your coop set up properly.

Thanks for responding! She is about a year and a half old, and like I said, she has been like this for a while. She is towards the top of the pecking order, and sleeps on a roost every night.
IMG_2144.JPG

Chickens peck at red things. that butt looks very red. It looks to me like sheds getting pecked. I would try putting some blu-kote on her and see what happens. If it starts getting better than you've solved your problem if not, then I have no idea.

I would also guess feather picking. I have a chronic feather picker (the tiniest of the group, go figure...) and I've been amazed that the higher ups in the pecking order "allow" it. They do regrow the feathers while they're molting, and every year I hope my picker is going to move on. I've increased protein, added interesting elements to the run, make sure they get out to free range every day, etc. Seems like once it's a habit, it's hard to break.

Back
Top Bottom